Hi, my name is Angie1702! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Angie1702!

Angie1702
Angie1702 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
I am a new member of the Community.  Both my husband and I are on the 'shielded' list and under lockdown, and we have a son who has severe paranoid schizophrenia and is currently sectioned under the mental health act in hospital an hour's journey away.  Life is just a little stressful as you might imagine.  To add to the problems, he has just received a letter stopping his ESA without explanation.  sigh...............  I will post a discussion on that in the hope someone can offer insight if that is OK.  Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Angie1702 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm very sorry to hear about everything you and your family are going through at the moment and the fact that your son's ESA has now been stopped without explanation.  This all must be extremely stressful for you being so far away from your son and having to shield.  Yes, the best thing to do is post a discussion about this and some of our members will answer with some advice or even one of the Scope Team.  I'm not familiar with ESA myself as don't receive it so am unable to help you, I'm afraid, but there are a lot of members here who are very good when it comes to DWP advise and will assist you I'm sure.  Have you tried phoning DWP to ask them why they have stopped your son's ESA so abruptly?  

Please know that we are here to support you also as we all look out for each other on here and this is especially so at the moment during these difficult times so please feel free to chat to us anytime, as there will always be someone on here to listen.  I'm doing fine, thanks and keeping safe and well.  Lovely of you to ask.  I hope you and your husband are doing ok too despite everything.  I hope you find some insight into what is happening with your son's ESA and that things will improve for you soon as a family.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are all getting on and if we can be of any help/support then you only just have to ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Angie1702
    Angie1702 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Thank you so much - I rang today and one positive from Covid-19, they were allowed to discuss it with his father, which normally we have trouble with even as his appointee!  It transpires that asking to be removed as appointee as was his wish when extremely ill and paranoid, triggered a letter for him to contact them which of course in his state of health, he totally ignored.  They had suspended it pending hearing from him, so hopefully it will get sorted now.  For once, they seemed to understand the difficulties and be prepared to work with us to sort it.  Wonderfully kind lady and great result so thanks everyone.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Angie1702 and thank you for the update.  You are very welcome.  Glad to hear things are sorted out and explained with regards to your son's ESA and that your husband was allowed to speak to DWP today.  You must be relieved now I would imagine and it's good to hear that they were understanding and helpful.   All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Angie1702 - Welcome to the community from me too. Thank you for joining us all. It must be difficult for you & your husband with your son so far away at the moment, especially as he too has problems. My son lives nearby, so at least I get to see him, but am missing seeing my daughter & 3 grandchildren enormously.
    I saw your thread about your son's ESA stopping, which must have been distressing for you all. I'm so pleased your husband was able to speak on your son's behalf, & that the person he spoke to was kind & understanding. Hopefully it will all be sorted soon, & his ESA payments resume.
    I'm keeping well, thank you, & hope you are the same. I'm sure at least your minds will have some peace now. Thank you too for keeping everyone updated. I hope you manage to have a good weekend now, & may enjoy the sunshine. As Ails says, please keep in touch, & also do chat here any time. This is a great community, & we try to help & support each other as much as we can. :)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Angie1702

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you?

I one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

It’s great to see that you matters in hand which is good news.

Please please let me know if you have any further questions/problems.

@steve51
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Angie1702 said:
    Thank you so much - I rang today and one positive from Covid-19, they were allowed to discuss it with his father, which normally we have trouble with even as his appointee!  It transpires that asking to be removed as appointee as was his wish when extremely ill and paranoid, triggered a letter for him to contact them which of course in his state of health, he totally ignored.  They had suspended it pending hearing from him, so hopefully it will get sorted now.  For once, they seemed to understand the difficulties and be prepared to work with us to sort it.  Wonderfully kind lady and great result so thanks everyone.
    Hello @Angie1702. I responded on your other thread and just spotted this one. I'm glad your husband has been able to talk with them and hopefully the problem is now resolved. It sounds as though he could possibly do with an appointee, is this something you're both discussing with him?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.