Gardening: Do you have green fingers? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gardening: Do you have green fingers?

Comments

• Constructiveway
    Constructiveway Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited June 2020
    dkb123 said:
    There's no money around for community gardening anymore, councils are all near bankruptcy and because of the increased use of cards the old fundraising methods of shaking a tin for peoples change don't have much success, maybe we should start a new thread about how we can raise funds for community gardening projects 
    DKB123, agricultural land is cheap. Maybe no councils, there's the option that you can take all financial risk on your own t-short. Either, we don't fundraise at all and didn't get anything as a nonprofit and we're are a nonprofit, we didn't receive any grants or donations, exactly £0. Also, we're an enterprise which isn't supported by any non-profit, council, even any moral/verbal support from the people who I take the personal risk for (I didn't see even one beneficiary that said something nice, only directors/CEOs of other enterprises, not beneficiaries) but, yeah, commercials like business realities, market analyses, plans, financial prognoses, and credit checks of your personal bank accounts... so you can get there. The country is full of CICs (commercially productive nonprofits). You need a commercial usage so your wallet isn't gonna bleed out, that's all. 

400 square meters, 20 x 20 meters is 0.0988422 acre:

"The average price of bare agricultural land in England and Wales has risen from £6,979 per acre to £7,030 per acre in the first quarter of 2019. Despite this, since 2015, agricultural land prices have fallen." (Agent Hub, p.1, 2019).

It makes the price in pounds:

The market average for 200 square meters:

The market value of 100 square meters:

Best regards

Reference:
    Agent Hub (2019, December 13). Struggling to sell farmland? Here’s why. P. 1.
    Retrieved from: https://agenthubltd.com/struggling-sell-farmland-reasons/#:~:text=The%20cost%20of%20farmland,agricultural%20land%20prices%20have%20fallen.
  • Constructiveway
    edited June 2020
    P.s.:

Check out FWI, to orient in the price ranges. It can go as low as 1300 per acre (even if the average is around 7K). For a greenhouse, the quality doesn't really matter (you don't have to seed in the land or for 1300 is better to say that you don't have to seed in the stones).
  • CJ61
    CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    yippee. Im going to be picking my first green french beans to go with my salmon this evening. Ive grown a dwarf variety in a pot and they are only about 15inches tall but have produced full size beans. Hope they taste good  B)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    CJ61 said:
    yippee. Im going to be picking my first green french beans to go with my salmon this evening. Ive grown a dwarf variety in a pot and they are only about 15inches tall but have produced full size beans. Hope they taste good  B)
    Amazing @CJ61! You'll have to let you know how they taste. Community dinner party at yours?  :D  
    Scope

• alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    I'm terrible, I'm an accidental plant murder I'm afraid. I try so hard but always fail harder. My mum is amazing though! Her mum was too, I didn't inherit the green finger gene.
  • Constructiveway
    edited June 2020
    alieshia said:
    I'm terrible, I'm an accidental plant murder I'm afraid. I try so hard but always fail harder. My mum is amazing though! Her mum was too, I didn't inherit the green finger gene.
    It helps if you like what you do and choose to do what you like. Hm, I'm not a farmer at all because I've different interests and I grew up fascinated by nature on land with a huge garden so I know what to do. I'm not sure there's anything to inherit. In the same pattern as you, referring to the inherited, I could claim the invention of [neolithic] farming, the invention of [European/western] civilization, and so on : )), I claim "green fingers" : )) and all that belongs to non-nomadic civilization as anyone with Minoan Y-DNA can do. It's for a smile : ) You can see the "joke" : )) You're gonna be good at what you like, think, and concentrate on, what you spend time on.

Best regards,
    J. Vysvader
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope you could grow tomatoes on a sunny window sill easily if you use plant pot bottoms and keep them well fed but especially watered. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3 Listener
    I'd love to grow tomato plants, but we don't have a garden and only a tiny Juliet balcony to work with. I suppose we could do some flowers in balcony planters, though! :smile:
    You could grow tomatoes on awindow sill ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Not a bad idea. Although all our south facing windows are full length, so the window sills are permanently within reach of eager toddler fingers. :D
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • kaiasparrow
    kaiasparrow Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    I love gardening but I'm not great at it. I have a tomato plant growing and some pak choi and spinach that have just sprouted so fingers crossed. Hoping to have lots more next year but I only have a little courtyard 
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    What do people think of growing microgreens and which ones are the best?
  • Chloe_Scope
    dkb123 said:
    What do people think of growing microgreens and which ones are the best?
    I've never done this @dkb123. What are you thinking of growing?
    Scope

• dkb123
    I went to a restaurant, and they came with a menu of plants and asked me what I wanted in my salad  they then proceeded to cut off the greens from the fresh plants  and mix it in a bowl , there was Fenugreek, Pak coy, all kinds of parsley, cress, and cabbages, chia, they were very nice, the chef suggested the mix, he was very knowledgable 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dkb123@M_Anthony has mentioned growing microgreens, & may be able to help. I've looked online, & found some info here: https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/10-microgreens-to-grow/
    I didn't know you could eat radish leaves, so will try these as I'm growing radishes. My kitten has dug up my pak choi! My beetroot is coming through, & didn't know you could eat the leaves raw......it's good to keep learning.
    Try pea shoots too. Just buy a packet of dried peas, which is cheap, & they are not even too fussy about the compost you use....mine are growing in the compost of some of last year's tomato plants. See: https://verticalveg.org.uk/how-to-grow-pea-shoots/    didn't even soak mine.
    You might also find relevant info here: https://www.realseeds.co.uk  I've used this company for several years; look at their 'Oriental greens.' for example.
    Also do try growing nasturtiums outside. They too thrive in poor soil & drop their seed pods later in the year, which you can save, dry on some kitchen roll, then keep for the following year. Their leaves have a slightly peppery taste in salads, & you can eat the flowers too. :)

• dkb123
    I see I will have to do some more research , Thanks for the info
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome @dkb123 - this is a great thread, as I feel we all learn a little from each other's experiences. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Please do let us know how you get on @dkb123. :)
    Scope

• gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    My Great Neice(she's 3 ),pulled the first lot of carrots she planted as seeds on my allotment,yesterday,and also lifted the first potatoes she planted as seed potatoes, she sat munching on the fresh carrots,later at home, and had fresh potatoes for dinner. 
    Trying to get her to understand where food actually comes from,and eat healthily  :) 

Gave some fresh carrots and potatoes to my next door neighbours. 

I always grow more than ill use. 

First crop of runner beans on the plants,should be ready by next week? 

Onions doing well. 

Planted a,second lot of leek seedlings, the rabbits ate the first ones! Lol ,they must look like grass! 

Planted lettuce this week. 

And  Pentland Javlin potatoes that should be ready by Christmas. 

The birds ate all the rasberries! Lol:) 

Hey,I'm the intruder in "their" "garden"! Lol. :) 

At least nothing is eating my onions! Lol.  :) 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    These nasturtiums can be eaten, both the leaves and the flowers. They taste like mustard and cress to me though some people think their more like a radish taste.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Millions of years old dinosaur,yeah ok,60,almost a dinosaur, but unfortunately,  a dinosaur,..and a technophobe! .....how do i post pics on here? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.