Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Confirm previous earnings from work?

vixs99vixs99 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all, I’m hoping you can help me. I am claiming Universal Credit for my disabled son. We are new to this as he only recently turned 20 and we immediately lost child tax credits. He doesn’t work and attends college. A new question came through from the Universal Credits asking us to confirm previous earnings from work. “In the past 12 months before you claimed universal credit were there any gaps in your employment?” Yes/No
He has never been employed do I answer yes or no?  
Yes there were gaps in his employment because he was never employed/ no there were no gaps in his employment because he was never employed 🤯 There is no other option and nowhere to add any further comments 😳


  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,940 Scope community team
    Hello @vixs99. This is unfortunately a very poorly worded question!
    Your son would answer Yes, there have been gaps in his employment - one long gap. This question is mostly irrelevant to your son anyway as it relates to the benefit cap which wouldn't apply to him. If you haven't already, it would be worth getting a fit note from his GP and looking to have a Work Capability Assessment (WCA) for him.
    Senior Community Partner

    If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
Sign in or join us to comment.