Advice about appealing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice about appealing

LoopsLoops67
LoopsLoops67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all I've just recently had telephone assessment due to covid 19 I'm not holding out much hope of getting PIP after reading assessor report it appears she as contradicted everything I said. 
Basically I'm a diabetic controlled by insulin and tablets have been since 2005
2016 I had a cardiac arrest and prescribed more medications 
2018 had artery bypass in leg and still unable to walk properly be ause of numbness in foot and cramping in leg 
Feb 2020 stroke followed by a subsequent heamorrage and now have loss of vision 

Since cardiac arrest I've not been able to do things like I previously could and what I can do takes substantially longer 

Prior to vascular surgery in lots of pain and 18 months on still have numb tingling feet and unable to walk far I spend more time with my leg n foot elevated... Able to drive approx 2 mile to get to corner shop and back before being unable to feel my toes n foot 
Since Feb 2020 had stroke loss of vision and now unable to drive so I cannot walk I cannot drive and have no independence.... However on my report the assessor as put I can plan and follow a journey and can read sign post the only medical evidence I could send was a email I received off eye department confirming stroke  I've just been in touch with gp surgery to hopefully get some consultant letters/reports to help my case

The assessor put on the report recovery is 6 to 8 from recovery from vascular surgery every time I've seen consultant since op I've told him it doesn't feel any different is this likely to be documented thoughts plz

Comments

• LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @LoopsLoops67 welcome to the site. If you don't get the result you were hoping for then you can appeal and ask for a mandatory reconsideration.
    You can ask for a copy of the report to see what the details were. I hope you get some helpful results. 
    Best wishes 
    Louise :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • LoopsLoops67
    LoopsLoops67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Ty I have the report unless dwp mark the points up rather than going with the assessor looks like it will be a MR
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LoopsLoops67

Good Morning & Welcome to our online community/family.

I’m one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry to read about your current problems with the DWP/ PIP.

You are not on your own with your pip believe me.

We have got many members who are in similar situations.

Have you asked for the “MR” ?????

There is a time limit off “one month” to do so.

I have also had a Stroke (Bleed)

Please please let me know if you need any help with your “MR”

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LoopsLoops67 Welcome to the community

I have similar disabilities to yourself I am diabetic, have below knee amputation and no feeling in my other leg from the knee downwards and also bind in one eye and limited vision in the other.

Did you send off any evidence with your review form and fill in the form detailing real life examples of how your condition affects you.

If you do have to go for MR make sure you look at each descriptor and how you feel you have not been scored correctly. Also note is isn't often at MR that the decision is hanged and could result in you going to tribunal.

Hoverver good luckj and hope you get the result you deserve  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LoopsLoops67 - & welcome to the community from me too. I'm sorry to read about all the health problems you're facing, & that your copy of your PIP phone assessment is not that which you expected. May I ask how many points the assessor's report indicated for the daily living & mobility components?
    I wonder if you have seen the descriptors mentioned above. Please see the following link if you haven't: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    It really is worth understanding these, as PIP isn't about any diagnoses, but rather about your functional disability regarding these specific activities/descriptors.
    If you didn't send in any medical evidence, it's rare that the DWP ask for it. If you get any relevant medical evidence indicating your functional disability, it's worth sending it in if you proceed with a MR.
    As Jane says, if you haven't done it in your initial claim form, you should give a couple of examples as to the difficulty you faced for each applicable 'descriptor.' This is where you would hopefully have some success. You mention that things now take you longer, so this should be stated. If you look at the end of the link I gave, there is a concept of being able to do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly, & lastly in a reasonable time period. Points may be gained even if you can do an activity, but it takes you longer.
    Depending on when you had your phone assessment, your recent stroke may not have been taken into account, as, with PIP, you have to have had any condition for at least 3 months.
    Altho less than 1 in 5 decisions change with an MR, someone has got to be lucky; thankfully I was, so it does happen!
    If you have any questions at all, please say, & just to let you know we are all here to support you at all times. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.