Gift from Parents for House Deposit
Hello lovely Scope friends.
My dad has just sent me a cash gift, as a deposit to buy my home.
Because it's over the 16,000 threshold, I have been told I will be penalised for receiving it!
I have been told I will lose all my Universal Credit and other benefits.
This is heart-breaking.
I hope they let me keep my PIP at least.
Now, we have to use the deposit to live on, which ruins our chance to buy the house.
Seems like a no-win situation for me.
What started off as a dream-come-true, has become an awful nightmare.
Any advice or suggestions please?
Serge and Janet
[Email removed by moderator]
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 579 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 278 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 752 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments