Rent Arrears!!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rent Arrears!!!

Lou67
Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,623 Disability Gamechanger
Hi just looking if anyone can advise me, I was due to move from a private let to a housing association flat, I got the flat due to my health, I was due to move just as we went into lockdown so wasn’t able to, DWP are still paying rent for the private let meanwhile the rent in other flat not been paid, I’m just worried about what will happen, I’m hoping to move next week, I’m on benefits so get my rent paid. Sorry for long post. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @Lou67 how are you today? such a shame your move got stopped due to lockdown hopefully it can go ahead very soon, an educated guess would say that as you haven't moved into the HA property yet then no rent has been due, the best advice I can offer is to contact the HA tomorrow and ask them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lou67
    Hi@Woodbine Oh I actually got the keys the end of February I paid the first months rent myself as I had to give my landlord a months notice, so there will be 2 months rent due, my new housing officer has been in contact with me and she doesn’t even know if I will be able to get help to pay it off, sorry I’m maybe worrying to much as this was out of my control, I’m hoping to get moved in maybe next week, thanks for your reply.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Lou67. If the new HA are unwilling to help given that you were unable to move in (was this their policy too?) then you could look at applying for a DHP (discretionary housing payment) from your local council to help cover the arrears at the new place. They're not guaranteed but can be really useful in this sort of situation. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lou67
    Morning @Adrian_Scope. Well they understood I was waiting on white goods from the welfare fund, it was due to be delivered to me on the 27th after we went into lockdown but they had to cancel, the housing officer has phoned me twice but didn’t really know what the outcome will be, but thankyou I will contact the council when they open there lines again and ask about the DHP thanks again. 
  • Lou67
    @Adrian_Scope To let you understand the white goods that are in the house I’m in just now belong to the landlord as I’m in a private let, so didn’t have them to move. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    That's totally understandable @Lou67. I hope they're able to help you with a DHP so you can get this sorted. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lou67
    @Adrian_Scope Just want to say a big thankyou to you and everyone on this forum, Iv found it a great place since joining a few weeks back ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    I'm glad you joined us then @Lou67. We've loved having you here too. :smiley:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.