Unsuitable housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unsuitable housing

Aleya Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I just bidding every week for council house. My bidding number is [removed by moderator] .you know I just struggle with my disable baby . 1 bed apartment we r staying 4 person . It’s really difficult. I apply to re housing but they r not accept . Could you tell me tha way what can I do now . It’s not possible to stay longer in this apartment.


  • Aleya
    Aleya Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited June 2020
    [Removed by moderator]
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aleya and a warm welcome to the community. Just to let you know that I have removed your email address as this isn't allowed on the forum.

    Have you spoken to Shelter? They might be able to offer some support.

    How old is your baby? :)

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aleya Welcome to the community. It may be worth referring for a care needs assessment through your local council you can find the form on the gov website.

    An assessor will come out and assess your living needs and any adaptions or recommendations, this can be sent to the council which can change your banding for bidding if there is a new for you to move to more suitable accommodation.

    It may not be recommended that you need more suitable housing though for a baby with disabilities unless they need any specialist care or equipment  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aleya - & welcome to the community from me too. I'm sorry to read about the difficulties you're facing with your housing. It must be very distressing for your family. As well as the advice given above, you may be able to get someone to speak on your behalf such as an advocate. Depending where you live, you might find this one useful, as I know it's helped another member of this community. Please see: https://www.voiceability.org/
    Or you could search for 'advocate' with the name of your local council, or nearest town.
    Depending on what disability your baby has, you might also get advice from a charity that helps parents with children that have the same disability. A charity called Contact may be able to help you find some local support. See: https://www.contact.org.uk/
    Please let us know how you get on, & talk here any time, as it sometimes helps just to know there's someone here to listen, & we would like to support you as much as we can. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.