Housing

kkadeyeye
kkadeyeye Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi I have cerebral palsy and where I currently live is unsuitable for my needs because my bedroom is upstairs. Going up and down flights of stairs, after doing shopping and walking down a long road makes me so tired, causes back pain. leg and ankle pain. Most times, I have to sleep down stairs on the couch due to the amount pain I am in which impacts my mental health. Any advice please? 

Comments

• kkadeyeye
    edited June 2020
    Hi Woodbine, thanks for your reply, I am okay thanks. I did refer myself to social services and the OT did do an assessment and adaptations but that did not help with the need of a ground floor home. The pain is getting too much.

• Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,669 Cerebral Palsy Network
    Hi @kkadeyeye, good to meet you. My family and I were in this position many years ago. It's a really difficult time when your environment works against you. 
    Are you privately renting or with a housing association?
    We have some information  about Housing and Home Adaptions  and Finding More Suitable Accommodation
    I will support you with this as much as possible :smile:

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,649 Online Community Programme Lead
    Hi @kkadeyeye. It's good to have you with us. Just to add onto what's been said: if you're private renting or with a housing association, it might be possible for your OT to write a statement or letter supporting your need for rehousing to suitable accommodation.
  • kkadeyeye
    Hi Richard, Good to meet you too. I live at home with family but I am the only one affected in the house due to the fact, my
    bedroom is upstairs. Going up and down the stairs is affecting my health. I have to sleep downstairs due to tiredness and pain.

Kike
  • kkadeyeye
    Hi Adrian,
    Thank you for your response. I live with family but as mentioned above its not suitable for my needs. Can I still contact the same OT even thought the assessment was done in 2018.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,922 Championing
    Hi @kkadeyeye Good to have you with us.

Are you wanting to live alone or remain with the family, I would have thought if you want to stay with family the OT would only suggest adaptions to your current home, maybe create a downstairs living for you. I would contact the OT again or discuss with your council or housing association /landlord
  • kkadeyeye
    Hi Jade Thank you. I am wanting to live alone as its a family house , I cant make any decisions concerning my needs for downstairs living as I am not the owner.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,922 Championing
    I would suggest you contact council and get on waiting list or look for private rented suitable accommodation.  You could also contact the shelter charity 
  • kkadeyeye
     Hi Janer, Thank you for your advice, will contact the OT and council again and discuss my needs with them and see if I could get support.
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,669 Cerebral Palsy Network
    @kkadeyeye, would your family be open the idea of a stairlift? They are not as big and clunky as the once were.