SDP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


starlight2017 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I was in receipt of ESA and a additionsl payment of £65 week plus pip. I put in for a new claim in 2017 for child credit and was then turned over to UC. I was told at the time that uc did not do sdp. The following year i had a back payment for sdp that they said I was entitled to. I have a £120 additional payment with uc for Sdp so that leaves me losing £140 a month through turning over to uc? Can anyone please so kindly tell me if this is right please 


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,596 Scope online community team
    Hello @starlight2017 and welcome to the community. 
    Unfortunately SDP doesn't exist on Universal Credit and has been the subject of much criticism and complaint. After a long campaign they agreed to pay out an additional amount which is the £120 you are currently receiving. There are a few different amounts based on a claimants circumstances so double-check you're receiving the correct one for your situation:
    • £285 a month for claimants not in the UC limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) group (the broad monthly equivalent of the lower rate SDP at £65.85 a week)
    • £120 a month where the UC claimant has been determined as having LCWRA, and who therefore already receives an additional amount in their UC award because of their health condition. The higher rate of the LCWRA component is taken into account against the extra payments offered by the transitional protection
    • £405 a month where joint claimants were receiving the higher couple rate SDP in their existing benefits
    • £285 a month where joint claimants were receiving the lower couple rate SDP and are not receiving the LCWRA component in UC
    • £120 a month where joint claimants were receiving the lower couple rate SDP and are receiving the LCWRA component in UC
    Unfortunately it is less than what people were receiving when in receipt of SDP. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,962 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @starlight2017 Welcome to the community, I am glad your query has been addressed benefits is certainly a minefield


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.