Pip for schizophrenia — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Pip for schizophrenia

Iseeyou Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I'm doing this on behalf of my brother who suffers from schizophrenia, depression and anxiety disorder. He gets ESA and now has a phone consultation next week for pip and is acting up more than usual. I just want to reassure him things will be ok.  Luckily he dont have to have f2f as leaving the house has to be planned weeks in advance and I plus another has to be there as he tends to wonder off. He never leaves his room due to anxiety and depression plus he sees things that cause him to scream and scares the public. If we have to take him dentist or emergency appointments I have to sit with him in back of car with child locks as he says he has to open doors while moving car. He is really hard to cope with not to mention his medication dont help only makes him sleepy. Me and mum also have to force him or trick him into taking meds and I have to bath him as he just sits there. The kitchen is locked as In last few years he has got worse leaving oven on intentionally and also cooking weird stuff like mud in the kettle. I could go on but what I'm worried about is the phone consultation as i know that he and the assessor will not understand each other you could ask him what colour is the sky and he will answer with gibberish. How will the phone call go if hes like this? I will be here or mum but I'm worried we wont get anywhere. This money would really help make things easier.  Can anyone give any advice if he will be able to get both rates and which rate will he fall under..

Thank you for listening to me unburden 

Kind regards 



  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Iseeyou

    Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

    I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

    Hi @Adrian_Scope
    Can you please offer me some help with this “Esa Benefit” post.

    Many Thanks.

  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,141 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Iseeyou hope you're ok this evening? I f I were you I would contact the people doing the assessment before the phone consultation and explain your concerns, it would seem to be a fruitless exercise if you brother can't/won't communicate with them, maybe they will decide to do a paper based assessment you never know, or they might decide it best to wait until face2face are possible again?
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 12,265 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Iseeyou - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining to help your brother.  My best friend's wife has schizophrenia (also completely disabling). He became her appointee as she wouldn't understand any queries about her benefits, & wouldn't say anything. Is this something yourself or Mum would consider? Some info here: https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits
    Some PIP claims are paper based, as woodbine has said. Depending on what was written in his claim form, which I presume you or your Mum wrote, if the difficulties he has were outlined as you've said above, he should be awarded PIP for both daily living & mobility.
    As time is limited, consider woodbine's advice. In the long term consider one of you becoming his appointee.
    Perhaps his phone assessment will go well.....if he doesn't say anything, & you or your Mum have to speak, this shows how much his condition affects him.
    Please let us know how this goes, as the Scope team, & other members here will support you in gaining the benefits your brother should receive.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.