Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

any differences to LCW / LCWRA component awards between "managed" and "natural" migration from ESA?.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Replies

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,942

Scope community team

Hello @Orangutan.

While the amounts aren’t protected, the award (support group/WRAG) do transition to their equivalent on UC (LCWRA/LCW).

So if you are receiving support group ESA and move to UC you should be awarded LCWRA automatically and same with WRAG/LCW. 

This applies regardless of if you transition through managed migration or natural migration. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,771 Disability Gamechanger
    It has to be remembered that very little has been done to "managed migration", the last experiment was in Harrogate and it was a disaster, managed migration should be finished by 2023 for all those on legacy benefits, that is looking highly unlikely as we are about to see in excess of 3 million out of work, and all the pressure that will and is putting on the system.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,942

Scope community team

I have to say that flower chart does make it seem like quite a difficult process @OrangutanOrangutan said:
    - would it be fair to say (speculatively), if you can budget for a potential "no monies for six weeks" then one may as well transistion naturally ?.
    Unfortunately not, it depends on your personal situation and what you're currently claiming. While there are some groups of people who are much better off on UC and others who the amounts are equal (ignoring the COVID increase), there are some groups of people that are substantially worse off on UC. For them, waiting to be migrated under 'managed migration' is the better option.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,771 Disability Gamechanger
    "Managed" only means that they will move you over, nothing more or less sinister. there will be transitional relief for those who change to UC under a managed system whereby your benefits will remain in ££ terms, simlar things have happened in the past e.g when SDA became IB.
    My advice would be to hang on as it might well be 2025 or beyond for many of us.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,987 Disability Gamechanger
    Managed migration is unlikely to ever happen. As has been observed accurately by @woodbine Harrogate was a disaster and the things which made it so are red lines for DWP i.e. things they won’t be moving on. Natural migration is realistically all that is going to happen and that will suit DWP in terms of massively reduced transitional protection. Whilst the current DWP target is 2024 even the OBR estimate 2026 which would mean it was nearly a decade behind. Add in a potential change of government (not a prediction) and it’s hard to make any sane case for it taking place. 
Sign in or join us to comment.