Claim p.I.P as I have C. O. P. D — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Claim p.I.P as I have C. O. P. D

lindsayfriday13 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there peeps ?
I've just joined this group n was wondering if anyone could tell me if I can claim P. I. P. As I suffer from C. O. 0. D really badly ?
I get really out of breath just getting up to go to the toilet ? and can't walk very far without getting really outta breath 


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lindsayfriday13 and welcome to the community! PIP isn't awarded based on aa diagnosis, however it is based on how your condition affects your ability to carry out daily tasks, like washing, dressing, cooking, etc. And your mobility. Hope this helps :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • positivitygoing1
    positivitygoing1 Member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Hi Lindsay , 

    I'd say to do a claim as my gran and now my mother recently been diagnosed with COPD , 
    And now it restricts your airways making a lot of what you do hard ,

    There is no harm in trying , and my advice is to ring up your GP surgery and ask for your medical notes so you can include them with your form when you send it back (send it recorded) for peace of mind you know they will receive it and in the meantime any appointments with consultants letters etc , keep everything ,
    Like Ami said it's all about how your illness affects you on daily basis 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,196 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi welcome to the community, I would suggest you look at the descriptors first and how you feel you would score against them.

    As others have said it is about how your daily life is affected by your disability.

    You do need to send medical evidence like prescription, consultant letters confirming condition and treatment, do not send appointment letters these are useless and the instructions tell you not too. Less is more with evidence as they are only interested in how your condition affects you and np GP or consultant will out this

    You would be better with statement from your specialist nurse or keep a diary of your daily activities, or a statement from someone who helps care for you

    Good luck and keep us updaed, there is lots of information on here about PIP
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Connected
    hi @male45, i am fine, do not worry honestly  :), you have not caused any problem, me and hubby have just got in, had a nice drive to clear the cobwebs!! keep posting, take care, stay safe and be kind  :#
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    To sum up, its all about your care and/or mobility needs and how they fit into the ESA descriptors, less is definately more when more when it comes to evidence sending your medical records from your GP won't help, one more thing never send any benefit applications to the DWP by recorded delivery it will only be signed for by the Post office at Wolverhampton, getting free proof of posting is adequate.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    There’s but one key question here @lindsayfriday13 and that’s whether, when you look through all the PIP descriptors, you can perform those activities reliably. When it comes to breathlessness then the legal question is whether it takes you more than twice as long as a healthy person of your age. If it does then you can’t perform that activity reliably. Medical evidence on this point isn’t really going to say anything. The key here is to turn vague terms into specifics. 

    So, start measuring things you do. How far is “can’t walk very far” for example? Measure it and time it. Do it several times so you’ve an average. Same with things like cooking; dressing etc. Break it down though. Saying you get out of breath with dressing is useless. Saying which part of dressing and why will bring it to life. 

    Ditto prepping food of bathing. Environmental factors come into play. Heat in a kitchen; damp in the bathroom. Lots to get stuck into. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.