Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I won a UC Tribunal and was wondering about backpay and how long it takes?

Welshred78Welshred78 Member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello, 
I recently won a tribunal for the sick element of UC after applying for it in 2018 after asking for a consideration and an appeal it finally went to a tribunal which I was lucky enough to win I was just wondering if anyone could help me with any information regarding backpay etc and when I would be getting the increased rate. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,923

Scope community team

Hello @Welshred78 and congratulations on winning your appeal. 

Backpay can take a little while to calculate but they should calculate it back to 3 full assessment periods after your first fit note. 
    Depending how quickly the decision is passed to Universal Credit the increased amount should be in your next UC payment. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,068 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, from when I won my UC tribunal the LCWRA payment was in my next UC payment, but I didn't get my back pay until I rang them after waiting 6 weeks once I had rung they actioned it there and then.

However this wasn't during lockdown and they have lots of new benefit claims to deal with and reduced staffing.

They also usually wait to make sure there isn't an appeal from DWP as they have 4 weeks from the decision to request a statement of reasons but they don't often appeal a tribunal decision
  • Welshred78Welshred78 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thank you for getting back to me so soon it is currently 8 weeks since I had the tribunal letter saying that my appeal was upheld I shall give it until the end of the week and get in touch with them. The tribunal date was 23/04/20 when it was upheld in my favour I have given them the required time to appeal the decision which I was aware I had to do.
    Just a quick question were you awarded LCWRA as this is only award you get any extra payment for LCW doesn't pay any extra 
    I applied for both components when I first applied for UC and I only got given the one element of UC my work coach couldn't understand as I am also in receipt of PIP due to the seriousness of my condition which will not improve without surgery and even that may not cure it any help will be gratefully received.
    PIP and UC are different benefits with diff criteria and getting one doesn't get you thr other that's why they are diff assessments 

You dont go for both elements the WCA puts you either as fit for work or limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work related activity only the latter gives payment

You letter from court should state what you was awarded 
    janer1967 said:
    PIP and UC are different benefits with diff criteria and getting one doesn't get you thr other that's why they are diff assessments 

You dont go for both elements the WCA puts you either as fit for work or limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work related activity only the latter gives payment

You letter from court should state what you was awarded 
    Hi Jane 

I am aware that PIP and UC are different benefits with different criteria I was just repeating what my work coach said to me due to the severity of my injury and that getting pip is difficult she couldn't understand why I didn't get both components I don't know if it has any bearing but in the court documents they have been notified not to contact me for 24 months and that if I was considered fit for work it would caused significant trauma to my physical and mental health.
    I am only checking you are due a payment as I said it gas to be LCWRA to  get any payment if this is what you got awarded that's great 

They do recommend not to reassess for period of time however they can actually reassess anytime after 3 months but that doesn't mean they will especially with number of claims they are dealing with 
Sign in or join us to comment.