Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Needing to return to UC after working again?

jamesbeechjamesbeech Member Posts: 2 Listener

hi I have been out of work for 3 years suffering from a mental disability but feel as though I could pick up work again. 

I receive UC on the LCW tariff. 

I have put out a light feeler and had a job offer from Amazon. 

I want to push myself to get over my agoraphobia, however if I start that job my benefits will decline and my claim will end. 

My worry is that after 3-6 months I will deteriorate like before and be unable to work again but that I also won’t be allowed back on benefits. 

What is the DWP’s stance if I found myself in that possession needing to go back to supported living ?? 

Will they allow my benefits claim to proceed if I had to leave the job for my mental health?


  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,955

    Scope community team

    Congratulations on the job offer @jamesbeech. If you earn enough to close your claim, it's my understanding that your LCW award stays dormant for 6 months. So if you reclaim within 6 months of it closing you should be awarded the LCW rate again.
    It's worth noting that you can work and claim LCW / LCWRA and as it awards you a work allowance (an amount you can earn before deductions are made to your UC), starting work doesn't always close your claim, it would depend on what your earnings are. 
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.