Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, my name is LFox!

LFoxLFox Member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm new to this whole online community thing.

I'm looking for advice/ experience from any adult with "mild CP" (sorry about rating it, I have no other language for it). I have right sided Hemiplegia and am in my late 30s. 

Since having my daughter 4 years ago, I feel I've been bent further out of shape, ie I'm more lop-sided in my gait, if that makes sense?

I am interested in anyone's experience similar to mine.

Also, has anyone had bunion surgery to correct big toe (mine is so bent over now and I think it might help)?

Thanks for reading.


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LFox

    Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

    I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

    Yes we have got a senior member who has got CP.

    I will forward your post onto him for you if that would help.

     Hi @Richard_Scope

    Can you please offer me some help with this post as they would like to me someone who has got C/P.


  • LFoxLFox Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks so much!
  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LFox - & welcome to the community. Thank you for joining & sharing about yourself. I do appreciate you 'rating' CP, but, in my opinion, you either have CP (or any other disorder, or not). However these do affect us all differently, & if it's causing problems, then it's good you've sought advice.
    I'm sure @Richard_Scope will help & advise. May I ask if you've mentioned your increasing problems to your GP. I know not easy currently, but perhaps you could ring? When possible, physiotherapy may help with your gait. :)
  • LFoxLFox Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for that, I have always felt nervous about not qualifying my disability. With a medically termed "mild impairment " label, identity for me has always been an issue. But that's a whole other discussion!! 😀

    I have talked to my GP, but as usual allowed myself to be fobbed off. I need to go back to them for sure. Ideally I'd love to see a CP specialist who will look at me as a whole. I have found that GPs have expected me to be the expert, which I find exhausting.
  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Posts: 2,833

    Scope community team

    Hi @LFox
    Great to meet you! I have quad CP and I'm a dad too. Unfortunately, your experience is not unique. As we age people with CP experience a certain amount of physiological burnout due to the way we move and the stresses we put on our limbs and joints.

    Technically, There is no such thing as a CP specialist. CP in adults should now be treated by a multi-disciplinary team as directed but the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE). This is a set of best practice recommendations that I and Scope was involved in creating. Your G.P. should be aware of these and refer you accordingly. Here is a link to the NICE Guidance

    There are centres of excellence that you can be referred to:
    Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic (RJAH)
    University College London Hospital (UCLH)
    These centres use multi-disciplinary teams that will cover neurology, orthopaedics, physiotherapy etc.

    If I can support you with any of this, let me know.
    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
Sign in or join us to comment.