Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Discrimination at work due to migraines
I work in an independent school. I am a chronic Migraine sufferer, who takes prescribed medication to help manage this. Our board of Governors have decided that if anyone shows any symptoms of illness whatsoever, the Head has to tell the member of staff that they must have a Covid test and can't return to work until the test has shown to be negative, whether or not the illness has Covid symptoms. As we are an independent school, we only receive a very minimum amount of sick days that we are paid for. I generally try to manage my migraines and work when I can, but the Head has confirmed this morning that every time I have a migraine I have to stay off and have a test and not return until it is returned as negative. This will impact my sick days significantly and I am a single parent who can not afford to have unpaid days at home. I have explained that I know when a migraine is coming and that I could differentiate, but she is adamant. I feel that I am being discriminated against, but not sure if I am. What are your thoughts please?
- 49.2K All Categories
- 9.8K Start here and say hello!
- 4K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 135 Community updates
- 11.5K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 656 Work and employment
- 525 Education
- 964 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 924 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 244 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 248 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.4K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.6K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 585 Chronic pain and pain management
- 648 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 702 Autism and neurodiversity
- 840 Mental health and wellbeing
- 287 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.