Change in Circumstances - Universal Credit and Carers Allowence — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Change in Circumstances - Universal Credit and Carers Allowence

MrsRebeccaK Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all,
Can anyone advise: my mother has been living with and caring for my grandmother for years, she had no idea she was entitled to any help at all, she has been unable to work due to her own mental health and not being able to leave my grandmother for more than couple of hours a day. My father done everything financially but passed away recently and now I'm trying to sort everything out.

I have helped her get Universal Credit and they said due to her circumstances they would not expect her to look for work however advised her to apply for Attendance Allowance for grandma then she could apply for Carers allowance. This has now been done and she now gets carers allowance.

My question is as this is a government benefit do we need to report it as a "change of circumstances" on the Universal Credit account? As looking at doing it it seems to be asking same questions like if we were making a new carers allowance claim. I was told once it was approved we wouldn't have to do anything further and UC would update/adjust with the new adjustments i.e carers element etc.

Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything.


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrsRebeccaK you could make a note on your UC journal asking if they are now aware you have been awarded CA
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,105

    Scope community team

    Hello @MrsRebeccaK and welcome to the community. As @woodbine says, it is best she makes them aware she has been awarded CA (it is picked up automatically and deducted from UC, but they can be funny about applying the Carer Element to your UC unless you've made them aware you are caring and entitled to it).
    She can either put a note on her journal and they should do the rest or do a 'change of circumstances' via the Homepage to request the Carer Element is added. 
    Community Manager

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.