How will my wife's claim affect my own? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How will my wife's claim affect my own?

Yesterday my wife was told her contract was ended. I have been through the hellish process of claiming esa support group and pip.

We own our apartment but have very little money.

My question is Will my wife's claim affect mine? And, which is the best benefit for her to claim?

I have been traumatised by my experience with Benefits and am very nervous about my claim being scrutinised again. I have been claiming for more than 10 years so been through benefit name changes and assessments of all kinds. I hope not to be grilled again.

Please help with any guidance on how to claim with least affect to my claim.

Thanks so much. Mike


  • Mikehere
    Mikehere Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I think I may have found my own answer, but please can you confirm or comment.

    I believe that if my wife claims the 'New Style' JSA then it won't affect my benefits. Is this correct?

  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 5,062 Disability Gamechanger
    Personally I don’t know but it may be that @Adrian_Scope could help.

    “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”

    ― Dalai Lama XIV
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,072 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community I am not too sure of an answer here but I wold expect you will now have to claim as a couple. I will tag in another member who will have more knowledge to help you

    @poppy123456 can you advise here
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,366 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the tag @janer1967

    Hi and welcome,
    You have a few options here. Your wife could claim New style JSA if she's paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019. This is paid for 26 weeks @ £74.35 per week.

    You ESA has to be Contributions based because your wife was working, this will continue so please don't worry about that.

    I don't know if it's possible for you to claim ESA as a couple and add your wife to your claim because all areas are now a full UC area.

    If you don't have savings/capital of £16,000 and over you could claim Universal Credit together and your ESA award will be honoured in UC. You'll continue to receive your ESA fortnightly as normal but it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    They will add the LCWRA element to your UC entitlement. If you receive daily living PIP then your wife can claim the carers element providing she cares for you for at least 35 hours per week.

    There's a few options out there for you and it maybe worth your while speaking to a local advice centre near you for a full benefits check. See link to find what's local to you.

  • Mikehere
    Mikehere Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for your detailed information. That is very helpful.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.