How will my wife's claim affect my own? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How will my wife's claim affect my own?

Mikehere
Mikehere Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Yesterday my wife was told her contract was ended. I have been through the hellish process of claiming esa support group and pip.

We own our apartment but have very little money.

My question is Will my wife's claim affect mine? And, which is the best benefit for her to claim?

I have been traumatised by my experience with Benefits and am very nervous about my claim being scrutinised again. I have been claiming for more than 10 years so been through benefit name changes and assessments of all kinds. I hope not to be grilled again.

Please help with any guidance on how to claim with least affect to my claim.

Thanks so much. Mike

Comments

• Mikehere
    I think I may have found my own answer, but please can you confirm or comment.

I believe that if my wife claims the 'New Style' JSA then it won't affect my benefits. Is this correct?

Thanks!
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Personally I don’t know but it may be that @Adrian_Scope could help.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community I am not too sure of an answer here but I wold expect you will now have to claim as a couple. I will tag in another member who will have more knowledge to help you

@poppy123456 can you advise here
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the tag @janer1967

Hi and welcome,
    You have a few options here. Your wife could claim New style JSA if she's paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019. This is paid for 26 weeks @ £74.35 per week.

You ESA has to be Contributions based because your wife was working, this will continue so please don't worry about that.

I don't know if it's possible for you to claim ESA as a couple and add your wife to your claim because all areas are now a full UC area.

If you don't have savings/capital of £16,000 and over you could claim Universal Credit together and your ESA award will be honoured in UC. You'll continue to receive your ESA fortnightly as normal but it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    They will add the LCWRA element to your UC entitlement. If you receive daily living PIP then your wife can claim the carers element providing she cares for you for at least 35 hours per week.

There's a few options out there for you and it maybe worth your while speaking to a local advice centre near you for a full benefits check. See link to find what's local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mikehere
    Thanks for your detailed information. That is very helpful.

Mike

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.