We might argue over how to talk about disability but it’s a debate worth having – Metro — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

We might argue over how to talk about disability but it’s a debate worth having – Metro

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

We might argue over how to talk about disability but it’s a debate worth having – Metro

When I say ‘able-bodied’, what springs to mind? 

Do you think of me?  

Probably not, since I am a full-time wheelchair user with Brittle Bones – a genetic condition that means my bones are fragile and easily broken. 

Yet in my adapted flat in London, I don’t have a disability. 

Sure, I still have my impairment – you can plonk me anywhere, even on the moon, and it won’t disappear – but with adaptations such as a wet room, lowered work surfaces, and automatic doors and windows, I’m able to live independently. 

I only become disabled when I leave my front door and there is no dropped curb for my wheelchair to move across, leaving me stranded. 

Does this mean that, within my flat, I might be considered able-bodied?

You can read the full article here: We might argue over how to talk about disability but it’s a debate worth having – Metro

What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Someone once described me as a "disabled artist". I had to think really hard about this. The person who said it did so with good intentions, in that she believed that disabled adults and children could derive hope from my artwork and know that they too, could achieve something worthwhile. I understood this but, on the other hand, my artwork is the only activity that transcends my disabilities and makes me feel not only "able-bodied" but fully alive! So overall, I've decided not to describe myself as a "disabled artist". I can see though how this issue could spark a debate! 
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Its a debate that really does need to be had, i think maybe the choice of wording is extremely important, ie, 'artist' who wants to involve, help, motivate people who have an impairment? sorry, if this isnt appropriate, but debate we must  :)
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Please mods do you think it would be an idea if these sort of disability related general publications or broadcasts etc. could be collated in a sticky, or otherwise left as a reference, since they are not specific to one person, and not likely to go out of date, nor likely to be stumbled upon by sheer chance frpm a user browsing through Scope?

P.s. I just referenced bbc and Times items in a new thread.
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Katho31, Hi, my artwork is meant to be enjoyed by everyone, irrespective of their abilities, gender, ethnicity, or any other status!
    The term "disabled artist" refers to my disabilities not to those who may view my work, therefore it is my personal choice not to have it applied to me when others refer to me.
    It does not mean that there is anything wrong with the phrase "disabled artist". Alison Lapper, for instance, is always described as a disabled artist, as are many of the foot and mouth artists. Their work is wonderful. I just don't feel comfortable with using this term for myself. I think it has to be an individual choice.
    If anyone asked me about my life I would not deny that I'm disabled, it's nothing to be ashamed of. I see myself first and foremost as an artist who happens to be disabled. Unfortunately, I'm also overweight due to lack of mobility and steroid use. I would never describe myself as "an overweight artist" though and I hope that no one else would! None of these external characteristics define my inner artist! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    newborn said:
    Please mods do you think it would be an idea if these sort of disability related general publications or broadcasts etc. could be collated in a sticky, or otherwise left as a reference, since they are not specific to one person, and not likely to go out of date, nor likely to be stumbled upon by sheer chance frpm a user browsing through Scope?

P.s. I just referenced bbc and Times items in a new thread.
    That's a great idea @newborn and something we'll look into. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.