Pregnancy and post natal Yoga and relaxation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pregnancy and post natal Yoga and relaxation

Options
JessamyC
JessamyC Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone

I am an Occupational Therapist and Registered Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga Teacher based in Bucks. I am interested to know if the community feel there is good access to this type of service in their local area as I personally feel like this is missing for the disabled community?

Being an OT and having trained in yoga which is accessible and inclusive plus having accessed NCT for my own pregnancy  I am keen to peruse this online and in person (when we can) and would love to know everyone’s thoughts on making pregnancy yoga more accessible and how I could do this.

Thanks 
Jessamy 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community, I dont really have any comments on this not being from the area or pregnant so I dont know how acessable these services are 

Do you make your service accessable to the community and disabled community and if so can you share this with other professionals or out some flyers out at loca surgeries and maternity units
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @JessamyC! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Accessible yoga in general would be great and the resources are limited. I imagine this is more so during pregnancy. I have a physical disability and a worry around pregnancy is the inevitable impact on my mobility. It would be great to know that things like this were out there.

What are your thoughts @Ami2301? :) 
    Scope

• JessamyC
    JessamyC Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Chloe
    Thanks for your reply, 
    my loose plan is for a group in my local area, maybe Thame, in a community space, accessible with facilities and to offer a yoga and relaxation Session using chairs or mats as people are able to access and which option suits supports them best. 

i will contact bucks and Oxford maternity services to add a listing with services they signpost to and at my local surgery and to other professionals and services. 

This will probably be an initial block of 8 sessions starting September or an online Session  via Zoom if their is any concern about attending in small groups from September. It would be a paid for session. 

I will stay in contact with the community and keep you posted, but if their are any parents currently pregnant I would be grateful if you could let them know about this and it would be great to speak to them and start gathering some information to be able to plan to the needs of the group.
    thanks so much 
    jessamy 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for this @JessamyC! Please do let us know how you get on, it sounds really interesting! 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.