Disability money effected? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability money effected?

orourke20
orourke20 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
I claim UC and I get the disability element to say I can’t work and I also get PIP, I’m looking on moving in with my partner I currently claim single because we aren’t living together but when I declare we are in a relationship and living together how will my UC be effected 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Good afternoon, hope you are ok today ? First question does your partner work?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

When you move in with your partner they will need to make a claim for UC for you to claim as a couple. Whether you'll be entitled to UC once they move in will totally depend on circumstances. Use a benefits calculator and put both your details into it to see what you maybe entitled to. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=12626820-dd4e-4934-8391-95e6f2db5c76

Your PIP won't be affected.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • orourke20
    @woodbine hi I am okay thank you how are u and no not currently but he will be working before we move out 
  • orourke20
    @poppy123456 hi so I might not be entitled to it I’m in the group of never being able to work 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    orourke20 said:
    @poppy123456 hi so I might not be entitled to it I’m in the group of never being able to work 

I have absolutely no idea because you haven't given any information. Please use the benefits calculator i posted above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,826 Scope online community team
    Hello @orourke20. Under your current circumstances with your partner not working, when you move in together all that should change is your single element on UC will change to the couple element. You'll continue to receive the LCW/LCWRA element. 
    When your partner begins work, their wages will affect your overall UC. Whether you'll still be entitled to any depends on how much they'll be earning.
    As others have mentioned your PIP will not be affected. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.