Telephone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Telephone assessment

Bowland25 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Good evening, I’m just looking for some advice as to what happens next. I had my telephone assessment 2 weeks ago, I am only now able to talk about it. I thought I was so well prepared and after my initial nerves settled down, I thought it was going well. That is until the Doctor on the panel said something that totally threw me, after that I could hardly speak, my brain was like a fog and I could hardly put a sentence together. I know I should’ve asked for a break, but I just wanted it over. I had previously been awarded 10 points for care and 4 points for moving around. I was called back about 20 minutes later, and was told the care was still 10 points, but I had been awarded 10 points for moving around. I have since received a letter from the courts confirming this, but heard nothing since. I know it’s an improvement on my previous award, but given my health I was hoping for a better outcome, my question is, what happens next, and what is your best advice about taking this further. The judge when she rang me back even suggested, if I felt I’d worsened to contact the DWP. I presume she meant to start the whole process again. Thank you. 


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,126 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP now have the chance to appeal but only on a point of law, it usually takes a few weeks for them to start paying you when they do you could report a change of circumstances but as you have been awarded standard care and standard mobility do you think you have anything to gain? I wouldn't do anything until you have talked it over with welfare rights or CAB.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,327 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Telephone assessment? you mean telephone appeal.

    You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request from HMCTS the statement of reasons (SOR) and record of preceedings (ROP) once you receive both of these you will need to find someone to have a look to see if they can find the error in law. If it's not found then you won't be able to take this any further. Simply hoping for a better outcome isn't going to help.

    If your conditions have got worse since the assessment took place then this wouldn't have been taken into consideration by the Tribunal. They can only take into consideration what your condition was like at the time the assessment took place.

    You could also put in for a change of circumstances but doing this means you risk losing everything you already have.

    Either way, speaking to Wefare Rights is a must, before reporting a worsening of condition.

  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bowland25

    Good Morning & Welcome.

    I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

    It’s great to see that you have meet my good friend Poppy see is very very good 
    when it comes to PIP.

    Please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with???

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Bowland25. :)

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,019 Disability Gamechanger
    rHi and welcome to the community, sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your appeal outcome, but at least it was better than what you had been awarded.

    Make sure you get advice as detailed above it may be worth waiting till your next review rather than report a change 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.