Learning difficulties
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


uk71uk71 Member Posts: 29 Connected
Does anyone know where you could get funding to improve your cognitive skills if you have severe learning difficulties?


  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,110 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you spoke to your local college see if they have anything on offer?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • uk71uk71 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    I have yes. Unfortunately they only offer some assistance with participating in a course and not specifically help with my everyday struggles with cognitive functioning.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 10,141 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community.

    I would contact adult social services to see if there is anywhere they can put you in touch with or have you spoken to your GP practice
  • uk71uk71 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hello Janer1967. Thank you for your response. I am in the process of going to adult social services and my GP as one option.
  • Cindy7007Cindy7007 Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hi @uk71

    I am in the process of applying for a needs assessment for an adult with learning difficulties.  As @Janer1967 has mentioned social services should be able to direct you to different sources.  You can apply for a needs assessment online yourself and start the ball rolling. It is a totally free assessment and it is worth having your individual needs noted and see what can be offered to you. 

    All the best
  • uk71uk71 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hello Cindy7007. I have had a needs assessment and been found to be in eligible need. But I have been struggling to get my Council's social services to offer me something more than floating support. In order to address my eligible needs they ought to be offering me opportunities to work with specialist organisations 
  • Cindy7007Cindy7007 Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hello @uk71,
    I'm sorry to hear that you appear to be in such a difficult position.  I had not realised how difficult it would be to access specialist organisations through your Social Services once you were approved as having needs that required supporting.
    I do know, from experience, that most things we (as disabled people) feel we have a right to expect, is actually a long and difficult fight.
    Do you have someone, be it friend or family who can take up the fight for you? as it can become very stressful, upsetting and frustrating which is not good for anyone's health.
    I have on more than one occasion, for different people,  involved their local MP.  It has actually moved things along in positive ways and speeded up the process and enabled the individuals to get answers which they were being denied previously.

    I hope you find a positive way forward and  reach the point whereby your needs are met in a consistent and supportive way.

    All the best


  • uk71uk71 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    It is an ongoing issue for me. I only have a support worker. But their help has been very limited. At the moment I also have to find alternative accommodation. But once I have addressed that issue then I will push harder for my eligible needs to be met. I have got my MP involved in other issues. I am sure that I will get her involved in that issue also.
Sign in or join us to comment.