Disability Premiums — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disability Premiums

Hi have been on DLA and then PIP and income related ESA in support group long term  , On my 60th birthday a pension award following divorce years ago became payable to me, I wrote with proof to DWP and as a result of this i have been changed onto contribution ESA only  with deductions ( was previously entitled to both income and contribution esa) from the pension. What i do not understand is I have to pay more towards my rent as HB allowance is  reduced, but  council tax now where as before i got full  CT support  but they say it is due to disability premiums ..My question is which of the disability premiums should i get now , as before am sure i got all 3 levels and nothing has changed apart from the private  pension coming into pay ? thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,464 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Your pension will be classed as income for the Income related ESA (premiums) and will reduce the amount you're entitled to £1 for £1. If your pension is more than £85 per week then your Contributions based ESA will also be reduced. Whether you'll be entitled to receive any of the disability premiums will totally depend on your weekly pension income. As your contributions based ESA has also be reduced then i would assume that your pension is more than £85 per week.

    For your housing benefit then it will depend on your circumstances. I would advise you to use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.