Disabled people being 'banished' from towns across Britain as part of Government green roads policy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled people being 'banished' from towns across Britain as part of Government green roads policy

Options
Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Disabled people being 'banished' from towns across Britain as part of Government green roads policy – Sunday Telegraph

Disabled people are being “banished” from towns and cities across Britain because councils are closing parking bays as part of the Government’s controversial green roads policy. 

Blue badge permit holders are discovering many bays meant to give disabled people easy access to high street shops have been closed to make way for cycle lanes and allow pedestrians to social distance. 

James Taylor of the disability equality charity Scope said it was concerning post lockdown Britain was “locking out” disabled people. 

“It is very disturbing to hear councils are going ahead and removing disabled parking bays to free up space for cyclists and pedestrians without consulting disabled people first,” he said. 

“We understand that new safety measures are needed to help reduce the spread of coronavirus but they should not be at the expense of disabled people.” 

He said temporary closing the “hard fought for” bays will isolate disabled people, as well as meaning businesses will not benefit from the so-called “Purple Pound”.

James Taylor also discussed this issue on John Nicolson MP’s Talk Radio show. Listen from about 17.27.

You can read the full article here: Disabled people being 'banished' from towns across Britain as part of Government green roads policy – Sunday Telegraph

How do you feel this will impact disabled people? Would you do anything differently? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    An interesting subject it would impact me greatly if I didnt have access to disabled parking bays, I only go out with somebody else but need the extra width to open car door fully to transfer into wheelchair. If I couldnt do this would have to get out and then partner park/fetch the car leaving me stranded 

As usual though the disabled dont matter think the government think we should all stay indoors 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @janer1967. It definitely will make things harder! 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.