moving house — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

moving house

veryconfused
veryconfused Community member Posts: 34 Connected
hi everyone,im on esa in the support group and get some housing benefit.looking to move to a cheaper rental property but its a different local council.is this much hassle?..thanks in advance

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you get SDP?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

As woodbine as asked, do you claim the severe disability premium in with your ESA? If you're unsure then do you claim a disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • veryconfused
    no just on esa,no pip or sdp
  • veryconfused
    think I will look into pip
  • poppy123456
    Then moving house to a different local council will mean a claim for Universal Credit because a new claim for housing benefit is no longer possible for you.

Your ESA award will be honoured in UC and you'll be placed into the relevant group, whatever that is. If it's Support Group then this will be LCWRA and you'll receive the extra element.

Actually, UC LCWRA pays more than ESA Support Group, if you don't claim the SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • veryconfused
    thanks poppy,can I do part time work on uc?im really clueless about it all.brings all the anxiety on
  • poppy123456
    Yes you can work while claiming UC. You will have the work allowance, which means that you can earn a certain amount of money before you'll see any deductions. As you'll be claiming for help with your rent then your work allowance will be £292 per month, once you've reached that amount of earnings for each assessment period then your UC will reduce by 63% for every £1 you earn.

Just so that you're aware you can also do permitted work while claiming ESA. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet

Do be aware though that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming (LCWRA or LCW) then you could be assessed early and the decision could go against you.

• veryconfused
    thanks poppy im only doing 12hrs a week at mo
  • poppy123456
    I'm assuming DWP know that you're working and you filled out a form and returned it to them? The maximum you're allowed to earn without it affecting your ESA is £140 per week and work less than 16 hours per week.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.