ESA change of circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA change of circumstances

Hello there, i am on income based ESA Support group and live in a shared house With my friend. Recently my house mate has advised They are moving out and i need to find someone to move in. 
My partner has suggested he Could move in, however he is currently  on universal Credit as his job Was affected by covid 19. If my partner moves into the house how will this effect me/us financially. We both have no savings and i do not want to make either of us worse off. Thanks for your help!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,497 Disability Gamechanger

    If your partner moves in with you then you will need to claim UC because that's what your partner is claiming. You will need to claim and then one of you will be sent a code so that you can link the both claims together.

    Your Support Group award will be honoured in UC and you'll receive the LCWRA element in with your claim. Sometimes there can be a delay in adding this element so you may not receive it straight away. You'll also receive the standard element couples rate and housing element, if you're renting your home. Use a benefits calculator to check what you'll be entitled to.
  • littlemouse13
    littlemouse13 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    Thankyou, thats really helpful. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,572

    Scope community team

    Hi @littlemouse13. Just to add to Poppy's brilliant advice, when your partner moves if you're private renting you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate from UC so it would be worth putting your postcode in the LHA calculator to see what you'd be entitled to towards your rent. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • littlemouse13
    littlemouse13 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    Thankyou Adrian! Its so stressfull but i am lucky to have a partner now that offers emotional support, so we can share the challenge! 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.