Do I or Don't I - Page 7 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I or Don't I

Options
123457»

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Topkitten - I've been looking online for a similar table without much success. Over 2 hours later I found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Mobile-Over-Bed-Laptop-Trolley-Desk-Overbed-Hospital-Medical-Table-w-Wheel/312902734740?hash=item48da74d394:g:AzUAAOSwhqFd~nLx           .....look familiar!
    There are several around this price on ebay, seeming to be a product from China, & one of whom the seller on Amazon may be buying from anyway (after a customer has paid), looking at the long delivery time they gave.
    This seller appears to have one of the 'better' feedbacks, tho I'm always a bit wary with such sellers. However ebay do have a buyer protection scheme. If you haven't joined before, you don't need a Paypal account, & can just pay with your card.
    Do read the Amazon reviews first, but at least this is quite a bit cheaper, if you decide to try. Hope this helps. :)

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    @Cher_Scope, restful weekend? I have to go out to get a spare key cut and then fix up a keysafe, just in case. Tried screwing the keysafe to a wooden support but it will need drilling first. So much for restful.

@Oxonlady, my nightmares are a side effect of the opiates, multiple problems, multiple medications *sigh*. I never had a problem with Amazon before and I can't actually prove it, it just seems the only possibility.

@chiarieds, interesting and I will look into it more when I am more with it (late night again). If it's on Ebay then I have to admit to having never used it as I was always concerned about security of such a system but things change and many do so I suppose it's ok. I prefer to use my Paypal account. Oddly I used to hear bad things about Paypal but I have used it for years and never had any issues (as I've said that I guess I will now).

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Topkitten
    Options
    Ok, the theory was good and I medicated up ready but, as usual, plans went awry. Slept on and off until 2:30pm then wasn't comfortable enough to go the extra distance to deal with the key and a cheque I need to pay in so diverted to the nearest shop for milk and cigarettes, lol! Maybe next weekend.........

Currently recovering as I always have to from going out anywhere so the keysafe also will wait until another time.

Ho hum, another day older another day closer to extinction and, in my case, learning to live without leaving my bed.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Options
    At least you managed to get the milk @Topkitten, you can have plenty of cups of tea :)  

I agree with you about PayPal as well, once you've tried it there's no going back :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Topkitten
    Options
    I've had a quick scan back and can't find what I'm looking for, so would whoever suggested a throw (cover?) please give me some idea where I might get one and what they are officially called please. Fairly certain it was either @Oxonlady, @chiarieds, @Tori_Scope or @Cher_Scope. Any info much appreciated.

TK
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @Topkitten - I think it was Oxonlady that mentioned them. 'Throw' is the correct term.....many are polyester, which might be OK, but you can get cotton ones too. Many available online from the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury's. B&M, etc.....as well as ebay & Amazon (!). They are mainly to cover sofas, so look out for a small one, unless you want to double it up.
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Topkitten, I hope you are not in too much pain today. 
    It was I who suggested using a throw on your chair. They come in all types of material and sizes and of course prices. I have a soft, fleecy one on my armchair for winter and a lighter, cotton for summer. I'm allergic to wool and most nylons so I'm careful what I buy. I also usually buy in the sales or when I can get a discount code. You can check various catalogues online if you have the time and inclination to do so. Apart from the obvious Argos, M&S, Amazon and Ebay, there's also Damart, JD Williams or even Afibel (though Afibel take ages to deliver!).
    Good luck in finding something that makes you feel comfortable and cosy. 
  • Topkitten
    Options
    Thank you @chiarieds and @Oxonlady. I have 3 or 4 covers of varying sizes but I don't think any would cover the chair completely. I use them in the Winter cold days and heretofore, cold nights, rather than keep getting up and down messing with the thermostat. I will have to check the largest and then look online if it's too small (which I suspect it is).

Today is not good as I said elsewhere. Because I couldn't sleep I was up all night playing a new computer game and I still haven't slept trying to re-stabilize my sleep pattern. Suffering a bit more than usual because I went out yesterday and had to go again today because I forgot to get sugar, doh! With my leg worse than usual and overused and my neck and shoulders killing me I've spent the rest of my time on the PC. I didn't dare try to sort the keysafe out but will try in the week and I still have so many things to sort out that I keep putting things off because I don't know where to start, lol! I so hate that part of being ill, the "I'll do it tomorrow" attitude I can't seem to avoid any more.

TK
  • chiarieds
    Options
    If you've already got covers/throws, you could try one over the back of your chair, & one over the seat to see what they're like, & if they might help.
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are in so much pain, Topkitten. 
    If you are finding that throws are unsuitable for your needs, you can always use lightweight blankets for your chair, I've got a lovely fleecy one which I sometimes use to keep warm in my wheelchair. 

Can your carer get shopping for you? 
  • Topkitten
    Options
    @Oxonlady, I need to get back into a routine of ordering online. Somehow I keep forgetting by which time it's too late.

@chiarieds, I tried the largest one which doesn't cover all the chair. It's all fluffy and soft and, unfortunately, too hot. I'll tthink about what to try next.

TK
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Topkitten, just wanted to add to @chiarieds comment about a desk in bed.

I have this bamboo table which I use when I'm stuck in bed. I've not had it too long but I find it really easy to use and isn't too heavy. 
    Scope

• Topkitten
    Options
    I can appreciate that these trays aren't that heavy @Chloe_Scope but even the weight of the quilt touching the skin can be horrendously painful and the area of painful nerves is still expanding. The weight of anything else is fairly irrelevant, lol!

TK
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @Topkitten - Have you tried a blanket cradle such as these? https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/beds-and-bedding/blanket-cradles/
    As far as throws go, perhaps a cotton one.....synthetic fibres are not always great.

• Topkitten
    Options
    Sorry, I know there is good advice here but I am becoming non-functional probably not helped by new meds.

Ty @chiarieds, @Oxonlady, @Ross_Scope & @Chloe_Scope.

TK
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's okay @Topkitten! The tray doesn't touch your legs due to the legs. In terms of the weight, I meant when it needs moving or carrying. Hope this makes sense. :)
    Scope

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hey @Topkitten :) I know you weren't feeling well the week before last. How have you been getting on more recently? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.