Struggling to get a diagnosis for my almost 5 year old - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling to get a diagnosis for my almost 5 year old

Options
2»

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @CarlyDee

Aww I really feel for you being in this position.  It can't be easy at all and I'm so sorry you lost your dad while you were pregnant.  That must have been a real blow.

I wonder, do you have a local parents group that might be able to help you.  I know you don't have a definitive diagnosis but I'm sure you would be welcomed.  How are you today? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry you're going through all of this. I know exactly how you're feeling as i had to fight for 14 years to get any diagnosis for my daughter. In the end she was 17 when she was finally diagnosed with ASD and a learning disability. All this was after i was told for years that "it was all in my head and i was just being an over protective mother" NOT!!

In all honesty i've never heard of them waiting until a child is 5 to have an assessment. Yes, wait until the child is at least 2 but not 5. There's a very large waiting list for these assessments right across the country and Covid19 will have only made the problem a million times worse.

I wouldn't advise contacting your local MP because i'm not sure what help they will be for this.

If it was me then i'd start with your health visitor and your son's GP. His GP can refer him for any assessment that he needs, a referral doesn't have to come from his school.

Other than this all i can say is don't give up!! I never ever gave up on my daughter, it took a lot of time, effort and a huge amount of fighting but i got there in the end.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @CarlyDee and a very warm welcome to the community! At this stage I don't have any further advice to give, but I just wanted to let you know that we are all behind you.  <3
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.