Jobseekers, don't miss out on the chance to get a free 50% off railcard — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Jobseekers, don't miss out on the chance to get a free 50% off railcard

Ross_Scope Posts: 7,140 Scope online community team
edited October 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
The Rail Delivery Group, which represents train firms, is currently trying to make consumers aware of the Jobcentre Plus  Travel Discount Card, which is for those who are on Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) or job hunting and claiming Universal Credit (UC).

Recent stats have shown that there is a relatively low uptake outside of London, with nearly 290,000 journeys being made using the card in the capital between March 2017 and March 2018, compared with just under 2,000 in the north east. 

The card offers travellers in England, Scotland and Wales the entitlement to 50% off rail fares for a period of three months. It also offers half price single and return tickets on Stage Coach's 6500 buses in the UK, excluding London.

Transport for London accepts the card as well and if you use it along with an Oyster card you can get 50% off pay as you go fares, seven day or monthly travel cards at a child's rate, and seven day or monthly bus and tram passes at a child's rate.

To get the card, you need to have been claiming JSA or job hunting and claiming UC for at least three months. However, your age will also help determine the exact amount of time you need to have claimed for. If you are aged between 18 and 24, you need to have been claiming the required benefits for between three to nine months, whereas if you are 25 or older the required period of time is three months and a year.

You may also be able to apply if you've been claiming other benefits like incapacity benefit, income support or employment and support allowance for at least three months and are actively looking for work via a jobcentre.

If you meet the criteria, you can apply for the card at your local Jobcentre Plus.
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.