Think I've made a small mistake! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Think I've made a small mistake!

Welliboots93 Member Posts: 27 Connected
So Ive had my phone assessment etc, 
And I have a full 34 page needs assessment from disability at university that I wanted to send in (but due to covid nowhere to print it) 
Anyways, I've managed to print a copy and DWP gave me an address to send it in, said they wouldng make a decision until they had this extra evidence (which is great!) 
However, I realised after posting I've only posted the needs assessment and not wrote a note inside the envelope or anything explaining why I've sent this etc and to confirm who I am!

Will they automatically know its my report? Or will I have to send it all in again with a letter etc!?

Also, they now have my report from the assessor, at what point can I request a copy? Is it before theyve made a decsion or after?

Thanks again guys! 


  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,746 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi how are you today? You can request a copy around 7 days after its been done, you need to ask for a PA4, anything you send should always have your full name and national insurance number on, if they have done the assessment without the university report then I would wait and see what the award is, if its not what you expected then you could use the uni report as part of your MR.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,258 Disability Gamechanger

    Do you mean you didn't put your name an NI number on what you sent? If you didn't then they won't know who it's from, unless it has your address on it and then they maybe able to identify you from that.
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    Hi @Welliboots93

    Oops, that is the kind of thing I would do too! If in doubt you could call the PIP helpline on 0800 121 4433.

    I hope you get on okay going forwards, keep us in the loop!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Welliboots93, I just wanted to check in to see how things were going. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.