ESA query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA query

Samueljl3
Samueljl3 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello I am Ros, a lady with MS.  The lovely DWP are checking out my finances as they think I have too much money.  When I lost my Dad in 2018, he left me enough money to pay off my mortgage and put some money in a trust fund for my 3 children, actually adults now.  This left me with less than £10,000 in the bank.  
Now I have sent them everything in statements to show how the money was spent.  I am waiting for the news on what is going to happen.  I have the contributions ESA.   I worry that I will be left with no help.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    ESA cont. based is NOT means tested are you certain you didn't have an Income related top up which is means tested, without more info it's difficult to help more.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Samueljl3

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the ESA category so that our members will find it easier to find and answer your concern.

I'm sorry to hear that you're so worried, but I'm sure our members will be able to give you the advice and support you need.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi,

I can only assume that at least part of your ESA is income related because otherwise they wouldn't asking for bank statements. If part of it is Income related then paying of your mortgage and giving money to your children is classed as deprivation of capital. If you had saving of more than £16,000 then you wouldn't have been entitled to any Income related ESA or any other means tested benefits like counil tax reduction. Savings of £6,000 and over will reduce your ESA by £1 for every £250 (or part there of) over that amount. Any overpayment will need to be repaid back.

If you're claiming council tax reduction then you need to ring your local council to report the changes, if you haven't already done this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Samueljl3 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us and hope the advice given has helped with your query, anything else we can help with just ask

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.