ESA query — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA query

Samueljl3 Member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello I am Ros, a lady with MS.  The lovely DWP are checking out my finances as they think I have too much money.  When I lost my Dad in 2018, he left me enough money to pay off my mortgage and put some money in a trust fund for my 3 children, actually adults now.  This left me with less than £10,000 in the bank.  
Now I have sent them everything in statements to show how the money was spent.  I am waiting for the news on what is going to happen.  I have the contributions ESA.   I worry that I will be left with no help.


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,177 Disability Gamechanger
    ESA cont. based is NOT means tested are you certain you didn't have an Income related top up which is means tested, without more info it's difficult to help more.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 8,262

    Scope community team

    Hi @Samueljl3

    Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the ESA category so that our members will find it easier to find and answer your concern.

    I'm sorry to hear that you're so worried, but I'm sure our members will be able to give you the advice and support you need.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,495 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020

    I can only assume that at least part of your ESA is income related because otherwise they wouldn't asking for bank statements. If part of it is Income related then paying of your mortgage and giving money to your children is classed as deprivation of capital. If you had saving of more than £16,000 then you wouldn't have been entitled to any Income related ESA or any other means tested benefits like counil tax reduction. Savings of £6,000 and over will reduce your ESA by £1 for every £250 (or part there of) over that amount. Any overpayment will need to be repaid back.

    If you're claiming council tax reduction then you need to ring your local council to report the changes, if you haven't already done this.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,196 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Samueljl3 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us and hope the advice given has helped with your query, anything else we can help with just ask


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.