NHS wheelchair service users are not protected by law
My name is Caroline; I am a full-time wheelchair user with a disability called Arthrogryposis. I receive my electric wheelchair from the NHS wheelchair service and have done for many years.
14 months ago, the batteries on my electric wheelchair leaked, this caused £4000 damage to 90% of my home flooring.
While making a compensation claim, I was shocked that no legal help was available to me as this situation was/is not covered by the consumer or any other law. Why? Because I never “purchased” my electric wheelchair, it is on loan from the NHS wheelchair service.
This meant I spent 13 months fighting for compensation on my own. How many people would feel capable of doing this by themselves, or have the courage or patience to do the same? This, I feel is one of the main reasons disabled people get such terrible service from the NHS wheelchair service and such like, because they know not many will fight back!
The law seemingly does nothing to protect consumers when receiving “loan” equipment from services like the NHS wheelchair service. I want to change this.
I have started a petition in the hope to have the present consumer law changed/amended/updated to help better protect other disabled people that may find themselves in a similar situation.
I would really appreciate it if you could sign my petition and share as much as possible.
Petition link: https://bit.ly/34XmyL3
Thank you to each and every one of you that sign or share.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 575 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 674 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments