PIP For Mental Health — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP For Mental Health

Comicmadtitan
Comicmadtitan Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
Hello all, I realise there are quite a significant number of people who gete PIP for mental health reasons and how this affects them daily and in terms of motability. I was just wondering what peoples experiences are like claiming PIP for mental health reasons? I'm currently awaiting my MR and curious about other peoples experiences. Thank you!

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    I claim PIP for mental health reasons. I have had to go through the process 3 times in my life. First 2 times I was given what I thought to be a fair award and did not challenge it. Most recently I was awarded in my opinion not enough and I had my award changed at the MR stage so it can happen.

Is there anything specific you want to know? :)
  • Comicmadtitan
    I'm really glad your MR was successful! Was that a recent (post lockdown) MR or? 

Nothing specific really Mustang, just peoples experiences with mental health and PIP. A large portion of my application is my day to day impacted by mental health and I was hoping to hear how other people got on. Thanks for commenting and again congrats on the award!
  • 66Mustang
    Sorry for the slow reply!

Thanks for the congrats, it certainly feels that way - like a big achievement and weight lifted, which is sad really as it’s just the support we need, it’s not like getting a bonus or winning a competition haha!

It was a pre-lockdown MR. I believe the chance of an award changing through MR may have gone up since CV hit though - not 100% sure.

Good luck with your MR, I really hope you get the help you need.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with your MR @Comicmadtitan and well done for persevering.  We have had lots of positive stories lately and I hope yours will be another one.  Keep us updated!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Comicmadtitan
    Haha so true @66Mustang! But you're right, I think I've seen 53% success rate being quoted around the forum but I could be wrong. Did you award change significantly post MR? hope that's okay to ask!

Thank you @Cher_Scope! The wait is agonising, but I'm hoping to add another success story for you all! I'll make sure to keep you all updated! 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there . I get pip purely for mental illnesses . I get Lower mobility and higher daily living and I was awarded this first time .

good luck to you 
  • Comicmadtitan
    Brilliant @cupcake88 ! I remember folllowing your story when I first came to the forum and was so happy you got your award! Also thank you!
  • 66Mustang
    I was initially awarded standard daily care and nothing for mobility and this was changed to enhanced for both so yes a significant increase!

Best of luck :)
  • depressedmum09
    depressedmum09 Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Hi all, i started my PIP claim for mental health in march this year. I was award 11 points for daily living 0 for mobility. 
    I submitted an MR the first week in august and just had a phone call this evening from the DWP. 
    They wanted to confirm a few details (my psychiatrists details and medication) they went on to tell me the have changed their decision and have awarded me enhanced on both until 2024. 
    Back pay should be in my bank this friday and a letter will follow. 
    Just hang on in there and dont read the horror stories like I did xx
  • Comicmadtitan
    Brilliant @66Mustang and thank you! 

That's incredible news @depressedmum09! Congrats and the award length is great too! Make sure to treat yourself when you get your money. Also thank you, i'm trying to stay positive but not get my hopes up too. Hearing everyones successes is fantastic! 

Also I know that PIP is based on how your condition affectts you daily and in terms of motability, but I was just curious as to what everyones mental health conditions are if they are okay saying? Just that I suffer with OCD, anxiety, depression and PTSD and it significantly impacts my everyday life, so i'm curious about everyone else and how it affects them? Only if you're all open to it that is 
  • Comicmadtitan
    Also rather than create a new thread, I called today to chase up that they received my information (just for my ease of mind) and they said its with the case manager at the moment. Am I right in saying that the case manager is responsible for distributing my "case" to a decision maker or is the case manager the decision maker?
  • 66Mustang
    I have OCD, autism, depression, anxiety and another issue I prefer not to share online.

I initially got 9 / 0 points for daily living / mobility and this was changed to 15 / 12.

I don’t have the forms to hand so am trying to remember the descriptors off the top of my head but told them that the OCD affects me with cooking/eating as I can’t touch anything in the kitchen as to me it is contaminated, it affects my washing as I spend a long time in the shower, and it affects getting dressed as I have to check that all my clothes are “uncontaminated” before I can put them on.

Something I think is notable is that I explained in the “reading” section that I cannot open and read things like letters as they feel contaminated and I don’t know where they have been before that came to the house. I was informed that I would score no points for this as the “reading” section is solely based on your actual ability to read, which is no issue for me, but I scored points here so maybe the decision maker used their discretion to award me points as they believed I deserved something here - just speculating though!

I scored 12 points for mobility because I need someone with me whenever I go out and about - I don’t feel able to go out on my own.

I hope this helps a little bit!
  • Comicmadtitan
    Thank you so much for sharing this @66Mustang that actually helps a great deal. We sound similar in terms of ocd and anxiety with going out, but I won't say more than that as I know our mental health issues are unique and can't compare. That's has made me feel better though in a way, thank you for sharing again! 
  • 66Mustang
    Also, a little about the assessment for me.

When I went for my assessment, the assessor, although pleasant enough, kept steering the conversation to what I could do. For example, I was explaining that I can’t chop food because I can’t touch the knife and they said “but you physically can chop food, there is nothing physically stopping you?” to which I truthfully said “correct”. I also noted that the assessor would type away frantically when I explained what I could do, but when I explained what I couldn’t do and why, they often didn’t write anything down.

I think the first decision maker based their decision on the report and the second one seemed to take more into account what I had written in the forms.

That said everyone on the phone to my carer (I don’t use the phone) including the decision maker who changed my award at MR stage was very helpful and pleasant.

Just finally I want to say remember we mostly hear the bad stories on the internet as people with a good story don’t need any help so  rarely have any need to make a thread on a forum. I’m into cars and it is the same as a motor car forum - if you join a Land Rover forum all you get is people asking for help with problems so you get the impression that Land Rovers are rubbish but that is not the case!! It is the same with the PIP system! :)
  • 66Mustang
    Thank you so much for sharing this @66Mustang that actually helps a great deal. We sound similar in terms of ocd and anxiety with going out, but I won't say more than that as I know our mental health issues are unique and can't compare. That's has made me feel better though in a way, thank you for sharing again! 
    No problem I’m glad to have been able to help a little :)
  • Comicmadtitan
    My assessment was similar @66Mustang too, although there was more taking things out of context, luckily it was over the phone so I didn't have to go out but that went against me too as they said I sounded not anxious at all when in fact I was ruined inside and said that on the phone. But you're correct, that's why I'm grateful to yourself and everyone else for posting your success stories! They help a lot. Thank you again! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you hear something soon @Comicmadtitan, very best of luck!
    Scope

• Comicmadtitan
    Thank you @Chloe_Scope! I'll keep you all updated straight away! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.