Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Address change on ESA

littlemouse13littlemouse13 Member Posts: 23 Connected
Hey there! I am moving in with my partner at the end of october, he is currently on UC and I am on esa support group. 
i am aware that i will have to move to universal credit as i am moving in with my partner, but when do i let DWP know I am moving? a month in advance, or Do i call them the day i move in? Just wondering how i can make the transition run smoothly: who i contact and what exactly happens as knowing what to expect will help my anxiety issues. Thanks!


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    The day you move in, definitely not in advance. Once you claim UC then your ESA will end. If you're claiming housing benefit at the moment then you need to contact your local council as well, which will also cover your council tax reduction.

    Once you've moved in then your partner should also report the changes to his local council for the council tax because if he is the only adult in the house at the moment then he will lose the single person discount.

    Good luck with the move.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.