Address change on ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Address change on ESA

littlemouse13
littlemouse13 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hey there! I am moving in with my partner at the end of october, he is currently on UC and I am on esa support group. 
i am aware that i will have to move to universal credit as i am moving in with my partner, but when do i let DWP know I am moving? a month in advance, or Do i call them the day i move in? Just wondering how i can make the transition run smoothly: who i contact and what exactly happens as knowing what to expect will help my anxiety issues. Thanks!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The day you move in, definitely not in advance. Once you claim UC then your ESA will end. If you're claiming housing benefit at the moment then you need to contact your local council as well, which will also cover your council tax reduction.

Once you've moved in then your partner should also report the changes to his local council for the council tax because if he is the only adult in the house at the moment then he will lose the single person discount.

Good luck with the move.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.