Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Getting help for my son with hemiplegia

TJ1000TJ1000 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2020 in Cerebral Palsy
We have a son who is now 18 and has a hemiplegia. He has recently become more and more angry and aggressive and tends to shout and swear when he is angry.  We understand his frustration but we can not
let this behaviour continue as he it is now effecting our neighbours.  I think the key to the issue is that now he is 18 he feels he should be more independent and do exactly what he wants.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the support he/we need.  We are struggling to control his outbursts and I’m worried that he will become violent. Thanks in advance. 


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Has he ever had a needs assessment by your local council? If he hasn't then i would refer him for this and you can do this yourself. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

    If there's any help out there for him then this is definitelty the place to start. Also speak to his GP if possible and ask if there's any other help out there for him.

    I think the whole Covids situation doesn't help and could have made him worse. Being shut up at home, isn't good for anyone and it can affect people quite badly, it did with my daughter.

    Others may have more advice for you once they see this. I hope this helps to start with.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome glad you have joined us 

    I dont really have any advice other than already mentioned but you may get some help from other sections on the site 

    Maybe worth explaining the situation to your neighbours so they understand you are trying to get some help and they can be understanding 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 4,088

    Scope community team

    edited September 2020
    Hi @TJ1000 and welcome to our community.

    I've moved your post to our cerebral palsy section to help it get specific attention.  You might also find it useful to browse other people's posts on the board such as, 'help needed for adult son with hemiplegia' which has advice about supporting adults with hemiplegia to socialise.  

    A social care referral, as @poppy123456, advised is a brilliant starting point and definitely worth pursuing if you haven't already.  Please keep us updated with how you get on and good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,039

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @TJ1000 :) I hope the above information has helped? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • TJ1000TJ1000 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for the support.  I have started the ball rolling and contacted my doctor and have started
    an online assessment.  
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TJ1000, great to have you with us! I hope you are able to easily get some support in place. 

    Is your son in education at all? Please do let us know how you get on! :)

Sign in or join us to comment.