Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
"Sight is the sense people fear losing the most, yet we don’t know how to look after our eyes"
This year's National Eye Health Week (NEHW) will take place from 21 to 27 September 2020, promoting the importance of good eye health and the need for regular eye tests for all.You might assume that eye health is only relevant if you wear glasses or have a visual impairment, yet this is not the case. If you are unsure how often you need an eye test Vision Matters has a short questionnaire.
About 4 years ago I started to lose my sight, I have now been registered as partially sighted for 3 years. Prior to this point eye health wasn't something that I really thought about. Surely if you can see then you have healthy eyes?
But this isn't the case.
Did you know?
If you would like to know more, Vision Matters has an article about how to keep your eyes healthy.
- 2 million people in the UK are living with sight loss, that is severe enough to have a significant impact on their daily lives. Half of this sight loss is avoidable.*
- A sight test can detect early signs of conditions like glaucoma, which can be treated if found soon enough
- During a sight test, other health conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure may be detected.
- For healthy eyes, eat well, don’t smoke and wear eye protection in bright sunlight.
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 579 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 278 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.3K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.