How to appeal length only of award — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to appeal length only of award

griff11
griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Daughter (age 25) awarded PIP Enhanced after appearling MR but before it went to tribunal. 

etter arrived today and award for Nov 19 to Feb 22.  It says they have changed original decision and appeal will not continue.  Then letter says you can appeal and I have 1 month to do so and I must send a copy of this letter with it.    So do I simply say appealing duration and do I give reasons for duration only or re submit all previous evidence to show how's she's been impacted since age 18 (now 25)?  Sorry for all questions .  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, you need to request it again and send anything extra that you need to send. No need to send everything that was sent to DWP/health assessment providers for the claim because they will receive copies of everything you sent. State you're appeal the length of time and nothing else.

The waiting time starts from the begining again.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • griff11
    Can I do online or do I have to do paper copy .  Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    It can be done online.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing that @bekindalways and that was a great result for you
  • griff11
    I just gave the DWP a ring. I was awarded enhanced on both. That was on a change of circumstances. The assessor recommended a one year review which would have been early 2021.. When we contacted the DWP I was told that I couldn't request over the phone. So I asked them to do a mandatory reconsideration on just the length of award. They rang me back and were shocked that the call handler hadn't dealt with it when he had the tools to do so. So my award now runs out in July 2026. (7 years) it didn't go to mandatory reconsideration. The evidence was there for them to award a longer term so I can only assume that it is a case by case decision for them and the strength of the evidence supplied. 

Good luck. Procedures may have changed since covid but just thought you may find my experience helpful in some way. Xx 
    Well done; amazing result.  I rung to confirm length of award as at the time she rang she wasn't sure and needed to check.   When I rung you confirm length the man I spoke to was very unhelpful, said I had been ended as representative.  My daughter doesn't want to go through appeal as she's says what if they change their mind!  She's found it so upsetting reading their assessment and MR report and being awarded this means so much to her as they believed her.  I don't want to do anything to upset her so not sure if I should ring to query duration .  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    As advised you can appeal just the award length, they wont look at the rest of it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • poppy123456
    The MR isn't needed here because that's already been done. It will be another Tribunal request in exactly the same way it was done the first time, only this time you request the length of time for the award and not anything else.
  • griff11
    @Username_removed thank you for this information.  Unfortunately I cannot read the rightsnet information as I'm not a member and cannot join as it seems limited to organisations having membership.

Review date - the award letter does not set a reveiw date.  The award is for 29/11/19 to 06/022.  It says "if the award of PIP has an end date, you will be sent a letter around 14 weeks before award ends.  This letter will explain how to claim again if you want to".   Why is there no review date as it comes under longer term award as it's for over 2 years if I'm reading the disability rights guidance correctly or is this just something DWP do before writing to advise award ending?

I don't think I'm going to appeal as while we had a good couple of days after my daughter had the letter as it boosted her feeling that she wasn't "mad" the weekend has been difficult.  Anxiety is high last few days and I don't want to add to it by asking for her input into an appeal. I know the information I provided for appeal was sufficient for the award to be made but while the person who rang said my letter setting out life living with my daughter and OCD was powerful another decision maker might not be so moved by it.  I will be wiser in helping her claim again in 12 months as I doubt she's going to suddenly improve especially with the ongoing Covid restrictions and we are in local lockdown here so can only meet with people we live with indoors so she can't restart her counselling.  

Thank you for all your help.
  • poppy123456
    With review dates or end dates i personally don't think it really matters to be honest. The only difference is the length of the form with reviews is shorter but it fools a lot of people into thinking because it's shorter they should give less information but that's not advisable.

All claims should be treated as a new claim by everyone and you should always give as much relevant information as possible. The only difference between a review and an end date is you need to reapply rather than the forms being sent automatically to you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.