Life Insurance for the disabled — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Life Insurance for the disabled

Options
Wizzy75
Wizzy75 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi my sister in law suffers from Myotonic dystrophy and is having difficulty finding a life insurance policy due to her disability. Does anybody have any advice as , 1.I would have thought that this is discrimination, 2.Where can she find help with this. I am disabled but I found life insurance, but as she has a long term genetic disorder it seems to be more challenging for her. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Wizzy75 - it seems like it might be an idea to discuss this with an insurance broker. There's a little info here, if you scroll down to 'Life Insurance:' https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/buying-insurance-if-youre-ill-or-disabled
    Perhaps others will suggest brokers they've used, or where they were able to get life insurance from. :)

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Wizzy75, is this something you are still struggling to find?
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry for the thread hijack but aren’t insurance companies exempt from some discrimination laws? Just wondering as their whole business model revolves around charging people different amounts based on their age, gender, disability status, etc.

Not saying whether I agree or disagree but discriminating between different types of people seems to be part of the game with insurance.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Options
    The Equality and Human Rights Commission states that:
    In general, an insurance provider must not discriminate against a person because of a protected characteristic in relation to providing them with insurance products or in the terms of the products themselves, for example, premiums and benefits.
    Some exceptions may apply to disability, sex, gender reassignment and pregnancy and maternity. No exceptions apply to the other protected characteristics: race, religion or belief, and sexual orientation.
    Providers of ‘insurance business’ can only justify treating disabled people (including people with a past disability) differently when providing them with insurance if:
    • the different treatment is by reference to relevant information from a source on which it is reasonable for you to rely, and
    • it is reasonable for you to treat the person differently.
    This means it is important to have relevant information from a reliable source when making decisions about offering insurance services to a disabled person. Using untested assumptions, stereotypes or generalisations can lead to unlawful discrimination.
    Interesting stuff! I don't know how it works in practice, though @66Mustang.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is very interesting, thank you @Tori_Scope

I agree it does look like a very grey area and I guess insurance companies have to have some very good lawyers to help them decide what they can and can’t do!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang - whilst insurance providers aren't supposed to discriminate against disabled people, they are allowed to charge more in some cases. My daughter is a travel agent, &, where a customer has an ongoing health issue, then the cost of holiday insurance costs more, as they are potentially more likely to need treatment if going abroad & falling ill.
    I suppose insurance companies make money because the balance of probabilities is that often a person won't make a claim for a long time, thinking about life insurance if the person doesn't have a life-limiting disorder, or won't become ill when abroad; won't have their house burn down, etc. When the risks are considered higher with those that have certain disabilities, then they charge more to cover themselves. Not 'exactly' discriminating, but built on the model that they will charge less to those at less risk, & more to those considered to be higher risk. Hope that makes sense. :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When my life insurance ran out I took out an over 50's plan, no questions asked and a £100 gift voucher that covered the first 2 years of payments
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds like a good deal @woodbine!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Options
    Sunlife if you are over 50 i took one out last year and got £100 gift voucher

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.