Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Treated unfairly

janejrjanejr Member Posts: 141 Pioneering
I have a friend who has mental health and doesn't handle stress well at all he has self harmed and has tried to commit suicide before now. He struggle going out and can't cope with public transport. This description is how he is , he also has PTSD. He won a bid on a sheltered housing flat and went to view it telling the council yes he wanted it. He lives in a sheltered housing flat already but wanted to move as living in his current home made him unwell. He had a verbal agreement with council yesterday having said yes he wanted it . Today they called him to inform him he could not have it as he has got an ASBO against him and also there was on going disputes from his last property. Thing is he has never even had a warning letter from the council for bad behaviour and was homeless previous to this flat. He phoned the ASBO people to be told there is no ASBO for him on record. He is desperate to move he lives on the tenth floor and is isolated and alone. Where can he get help. He has a useless advocate who never gets back to him and I'm worried he can't take anymore
He has won bids on this property before only to be turned down as his paper work need to be suddenly sorted out. They then put the property back on bidding. 
Can his verbal agreement be enforced


  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,494 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Hi @janejr

    I'm sorry to hear about your friends situation and I hope it gets resolved soon.

    Shelter are great at providing advice around housing and I would contact them in the first instance to see if the verbal agreement has any validity.  For more information on how to get in touch with them visit their 'Get help' webpage.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 22,214 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm sorry to hear this. It's very unlikely that any verbal agreement will stand because it's just a verbal one, unless something was put in writing there's most likely not much he can do.

    An ASBO can only be given by a court, although they only exist now in Scotland. I found this link with some information http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/neighbourhood_issues/antisocial_behaviour/what_to_do_about_an_asbo

    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.