Spooky October — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spooky October

leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge
Im just wondering as Halloween isn’t that far away, how many people believe in ghosts and if so ...why?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t. I like that picture though :)
  • leeCal
    @66Mustang in about 1940 my mother was being driven by my uncle along an ordinary street in a local town when suddenly a figure was in front of the vehicle! My uncle slammed on the brakes and they stopped and looked around but no one was there at all. 

I’ve also read many accounts of people seeing ghosts so I couldn’t honestly say that I don’t believe in them. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont believe I ghosts but do believe we get signs from departed loved ones 

On the first fathers day after my dad passed away we had a balloon in the lounge and it traveled from the lounge out into the kitchen and out of the back door and up into the sky 
  • 66Mustang
    That is quite scary!

I have seen something that looked like a ghost go past my bedroom door when I was very young but I put that down to either a dream, being half asleep, or maybe someone carrying a towel or bed sheet haha! It looked like a cartoon ghost, like a person with a white sheet over their head.
  • leeCal
    Wow! That’s weird @janer1967

― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't believe in ghosts, but............ We were on a school Geography trip in the Lake District, staying in what must have been a former Georgian country house.
    One evening, myself & 2 others went for a short walk in the grounds. As we were walking back down the drive, I said that you could just imagine a horse drawn carriage pulling up there. It must have been autumn, as the leaves were being blown along by the wind at the front of the house. As we went around the corner of the building, the leaves were then blowing towards us, which we said afterwards seemed odd. We'd just gone a few paces, when we all stopped. The person next to me said they felt as if something had just walked through them, & I'd felt as if something had brushed my shoulder. We talked & both of us had the same impression (altho we hadn't seen anything); it seemed like a young woman, dressed in black & white.
    The next morning we asked the owner if there was a history of a ghost attached to the place. He asked us what we'd experienced. He went on to say that several guests had seen a young woman dressed the same, but inside the house. He said they didn't normally mention it, as it might bother some people.
    He said a young maid a long time ago had a boyfriend, who worked as a gardener, & he'd been killed by a falling tree, which had been struck by lightening. Distraught, she hung herself. The owner pointed out rope marks on a banister just above where he was telling us this tale, which shouldn't have been visible.
  • leeCal
    How strange @chiarieds , such tragedies often seem to leave a kind of record somehow.

it reminds me of a lesser tale of when I and a friend were alone in a large empty mansion in Surrey. As a prank we found an open window and went inside. Having cautiously looked around we went up a large oak sweeping staircase to the first floor and into one or two empty rooms when we became aware of footsteps along the corridor. Of course we panicked and looked outside ready to run but there was no one there..we ran anyway!

i have another to tell but I’ll wait a while and see if anyone else posts.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Sorry this is maybe a bit off topic but kind of relevant.

Does anyone else, when sitting in a room full of people in the day time you use logic and don’t even consider that bad things like monsters may exist as they don’t. However when you’re on your own and it’s dark you worry what might be there and have to sometimes check behind you to make sure there is nothing bad in the room?

Or is it just me :D
  • leeCal
    @66Mustang no, it’s not just you but what I’ve found worse is to walk home late down a country lane on a windy night. The wind means you can’t hear and country lanes are pitch black at night, scary stuff. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    I’m already scared enough when I’m out on my own regardless of any perceived or real threat ha ha :D

That said I have been in that situation, with a family member as well so shouldn’t have had anything to worry about, but I had to keep looking behind me to make sure there was no one there... :o spooky indeed 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
            The morning of my dads funeral we set off to make the short journey to the church, it was a beautiful spring day. As we stopped at the traffic lights it began to snow, as we reached the church gates it stopped and the sun came out again.
            One of my. greatest loves was the snow and my dad always called me crazy for wanting to play in it, even as an adult, I have  never grown out of it. I honestly believe the snow was sent from my dad and it was him saying goodbye :neutral:  
        Then on the other hand my brother always said if he went before me he would be back to say hello, I'm still waiting 20 years later :smiley:
  • leeCal

Over forty years ago myself and a friend decided to visit what was reported to be the most haunted place in England, Borley rectory. We decided to wait til late and had a pint in a local pub to pass the time and for Dutch courage but oddly enough after a while the barmaid screamed loudly! Of course me and my friend were instantly spooked but she thought it was a mouse, it turned out to be a male stag beetle. Shortly after that we left slightly nervously.

Having turned up at the site where the old rectory had burnt down we climbed over a five bar gate and stood motionless soaking up the spooky ambience. It was dead silent until a car full of young lads turned up. They saw our outlines in the field and thought we were ghosts! It was amusing to watch them turn tail and leap back over the five bar gate! They soon came back however and we spoke to them explaining what we were doing there. So together now in a group of about seven we all went slowly to the church opposite, a place which is also supposed to be haunted.

We looked around the outside, tried the large oak front door which was of course locked and went around the back. Suddenly there was the loudest crash from inside the church you’ve ever heard! As one we dashed to our respective cars and drove off fast. The sound was as if the front door had been opened and slammed hard shut echoing through the empty church at what must have been midnight or so. It’s true that we never saw a ghost but my friend and I took it as a warning and never returned. 

If your interested to know more about Borley rectory and the church here is a link to an interesting article.  https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/borley-rectory-haunted-house-essex-4297095

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Thank you @vikingqueen that’s interesting and a bit like @janer1967 s experience of having a sign. 

Ive had one or two signs myself but nothing distinct apart from an answer to a prayer which was unmistakable. It’s also highly personal so unfortunately I can’t write about it here.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• AlexRamzan
    AlexRamzan Scope Member Posts: 5 Connected
    I'm 50/50. I have seen ghost hunting programmes and I find it interesting. But still not sure.  :)
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
          Well @leeCal i hope the answer to your prayer was a positive one.
       I do believe there are things we don't understand but for me there is nothing fearful. The Borley rectory link is very interesting but many many miles from me so I wouldn't be able to visit.
  • leeCal
    @vikingqueen yes the answer to the prayer was very positive thank you.

There are many haunted houses and places in this country, so many that I’ve no doubt there’s one near where you live. ? not that I recommend visiting them ha ha.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:

If your interested to know more about Borley rectory and the church here is a link to an interesting article.  https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/borley-rectory-haunted-house-essex-4297095

I'm surprised I'd never heard of that place before...  It's not all that far from me and I've been to Sudbury a few times, albeit not recently.  

I don't believe in ghosts myself...BUT you wouldn't catch me anywhere near a graveyard at night!  :D  

If anyone wants a laugh this evening, there's a new sitcom on BBC1 called Ghosts. :)  
  • leeCal
    I don't believe in ghosts myself...BUT you wouldn't catch me anywhere near a graveyard at night!  D  
    @OverlyAnxious that’s funny ? I think most people feel that way too ha ha.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Had a couple of ghostly things, but have to say while I would like to think there was something other,
    my head tells me it was just my imagination...so here goes...as a kid i woke to find a child size figure wrapped in bandages, scared the life out of me more so when i found that people could be buried that way...like a mummy, lol.
    The next thing was always hearing soft murmuring voices in my sons room, which stopped happening once i mentioned it to someone.
    My favourite, because i remember thinking at the time that i should be terrified, but wasn't in the least, was seeing a Roman soldier standing at my bedroom door as i awoke...i mean a roman soldier? Not very original...i got up to check there wasn't actually anyone in my house, roman or not..and found that my porch light, which had been broken for some while was now working....my roman soldier was looking out for me...lol.
    Obviously, although I'd like to think what I saw or heard was real chances are...it wasn't at all.....the only thing that really scares me in the night is when I have night terrors and sleep paralysis....I'd sooner a ghost any day....

• leeCal
    Wow! Those are interesting occurrences @Cress. You may be a ‘sensitive’ do you find you know when someone will call in the phone, perhaps you might be thinking of them and the phone goes and it’s them, or similar experiences?

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.