Esa and studying please help — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Esa and studying please help

Smcs30 Member Posts: 3 Listener

Hello, i currently am on ESA Income related Severe disability premium and PIP High Rate, i have returned to study for a 1 year course in college to get me the qualifications to get into uni next year, it’s called an access course, i have to apply for an advance learner loan for 3022.00 and i have filled in the pn1 form it saying im entitled to loans and grants but i am very confused? if i take a student loan will i lose my esa, I still am unfit to work I have uncontrollable epilepsy and non epileptic epilepsy dissociative seizures, so if so i dont want to do that as im entitled to the esa and i dont want to get into debt with student finance england for my loans, As this is only a further education course and not classed as higher education, as if i pass the course (its an access course) when i go to uni they wipe the £3022 advance learner loan which student finance pays directly to the college I have only applied for a DSA disabled student allowance, im only concerned as i need additional support from the college i dont know if i have filled out the correct forms but as i said i dont want to lose my esa so does anyone know can you study full time and still get Esa? as im entitled to it as i have between 3-15 epileptic sezuires per week and i have anxiety and PTSD, I currently am taking legal action against my family member I have developed trauma epilepsy from being sexually abused as a child by a family member and having a bad upbringing as my mother and father were alcoholics and drug addicts and my social worker was struck off for child negligence, I have had a hard life but I would love to get a law degree, hence I am trying my best to learn, so can I get my Esa still I have been on it for the past 5 years and it’s the income related Esa severe disability premium same with my pip I got a ten year award when I was last accessed last year, as I have problems also with incontiency due to blackouts and sezuires  it effects my Bowls. can anyone reccomend even anyone i can call for advice, thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,409 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    HI and welcome,

    You need to report the changes to DWP because all changes must be reported. Although you can claim IR ESA and be a student because you're claiming a disability benefit, some student loans affect the amount of Income related ESA you're entitled to. If there's a loan available to you, even if you choose not to take that loan it will still affect the amount of Inocme related ESA you're entitled to.

    Of course it will depend on what loan it is. More information here in this link.

    Your PIP won't be affected by any loan because it's not means tested.

    Do also be aware that if what you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA and PIP then this can go against you when you're next reassessed and they could also reassess you early.

    You can also ring the scope helpine for confirmation of the advice i have given on 0808 800 3333.

    Hope this helps.

  • Smcs30
    Smcs30 Member Posts: 3 Listener
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Smcs30, I hope the information above helps. Please do let us know how you get on. :)

  • Smcs30
    Smcs30 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thankyou again yes it has helped it turns out as my course is only further education and not higher education I am entitled to the advance learner loan and it is paid directly to the college and then I am entitled to a bus pass and free meals pass but next year when I go into higher education then I apply for student loan and DSA disabled student allowance, so I’m not worrying now as I know my benifira won’t be affected Thankyou yes I called the Esa and pip and told them both I have returned to study I even write down the agents name and the time and date to cover myself incase they said they never knew I have returned to study, hopefully I will be able to complete the course I am trying my best as I have already had a sezuire this morning and I had an appointment with my neurologist and he thinks I’m under too much stress at present so I know I am unit to work, if anything my epilepsy has gotten worse but I don’t want to sit in my house 24/7 hence I am trying my best to learn, especially I am trying to learn law and humanities as I wish to know all my rights, thankyou again 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 6,655

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @Smcs30, best of luck with the course, I'm sure you'll do great :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.