Green homes grants (£10000) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Green homes grants (£10000)

Bingo
Bingo Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
Just wondering if anyone has started the process of applying for these. My house could seriously do with some improvements as regards insulation, double glazing etc. As I understand it the scheme is open to all with part paid grants up to £5000 but if you are in receipt of certain benefits including PIP and / or someone with a carers allowance you can get a 100% grant up to £10000.  From what I can gather you need to have a primary insulation like a new heating source, insulation etc before you can apply for secondary work like double glazing.   However I believe the grant started at the end of September, will run for just six months and you have to get three quotes from "approved" suppliers before you start the application process.  Some are reporting its impossible to  get the quotes locally and the work done in time!

I have not started the process yet but thought I would post on here as firstly it may be useful to others and secondly I want to hear from anyone who has began this process and how they have got on.  

https://www.gov.uk/apply-green-homes-grant

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bingo Thanks for sharing this with the community and I hope you get some feedback 

I haven't seen any posts regarding this but fingers crossed some members can assist 
  • Bingo
    Bit more on Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert site.  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/green-homes-grant/

I am going to start trawling through the suppliers list today and tomorrow and see how I get on obtaining quotes. Its not ideal timing as who wants hordes of tradesmen crawling around their property right now or indeed having your windows and heating upgraded mid winter but if its what it says it is on the tin it seems like a good opportunity.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing @Bingo! I hadn't heard of it before. Let us know how you get on, I'd be interested to know more :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Bingo
    Well a bit more info as to how I have got on so far.  The problem here seems to be the approved supplier list.  They have to be on the Governments approved Trustmark site.  https://www.trustmark.org.uk/

There were about ten I found within forty miles of me for the Loft insulation.  Oddly on searching the companies there was virtually nothing on most of them on the internet. Only two had websites. I managed however to firm up two appointments for quotes for loft insulation.

Of course my main requirement was for double glazing. This is where I came unstuck.  This is a secondary requirement and you must have a qualifying primary requirement also (Loft insulation in my case).  I only found one company local on the list that does Double glazing and they are full booked even for doing quotes and cannot take on even doing a quote let alone the work. So I expanded the search to national and there are literally 4 other companies across the UK that came up.  The two I managed to get hold of just direct you to their website to fill in a form. 

Early days but I would say the problem seems to be not enough suppliers.  I could go out tomorrow and find three companies locally to quote for my windows but unless they are on the list (how do you get on said list?) I dont think you will get the grant.  I have contacted The green energy people for further advice.

• Tori_Scope
    edited October 2020
    I can see how that would be a barrier @Bingo. I had a look on the Trustmark website and there do seem to be a few steps you have to take to become a scheme provider, including:

1. Read and Understand the core documents
    2. Complete and Submit Application with supporting evidence
    3. Desktop Review, including a one-off, non-refundable application fee of £2000 plus VAT
    4. On-site Audit
    5. Independent Review

Thanks for the update! I hope you get some more answers or advice when you contact them. 

• Bingo
    Thanks for that further information. At least we know there is some kind of procedure in place to gain access to the registered suppliers list. You would think though that they would have populated the list more extensively before announcing the program.  You could be forgiven for thinking it might be deliberate!   :#
  • Tori_Scope
    Yep, you'd have thought so @Bingo! Maybe something is in place to get more people on the scheme? Hopefully they'll be able to give you some more information.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.