Seeking other parents of kids with LD / neurological conditions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Seeking other parents of kids with LD / neurological conditions

Options
LexWood
LexWood Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi parents and carers,
Our 7 month old has an undiagnosed brain condition and developmental delay. We’ve been told to expect life long learning disabilities given his MRI results.
It’s a lot to take in and we’d love to connect with parents going through a similar road towards acceptance of an alternative family life. Anyone up for sharing tips, uplifting experiences and possibly a dark sense of humour?!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @LexWood! Great to have you with us.

Dark sense of humour ;) you have come to the right place.  :D

I'm disabled myself. However, my mum has always been my biggest cheerleader. We laugh about things, sometimes have a big old cry then dust ourselves off and start again. Do what works right for you and your family and you can't go wrong.  <3
    Scope

• LexWood
    LexWood Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks so much Chloe! It’s so nice to hear that. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem @LexWood! How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

• Cindy7007
    Cindy7007 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    HI, I'm very sorry to hear you are struggling and no doubt feeling a little overwhelmed.

I feel the key is that whilst your child may be a little more challenging than some other children the same age.  Your child is unique, never stop feeling grateful for the  bundle of joy, laughter, fun, trials and tribulations you have with you always.  The key really is to never accept limitations, encourage your child to be the best they can in everything they try.  No one can say as yet what level of delay your child may face so don't go looking for limitations as yet. 

Some handy community sights are listed if you put in "Parenting children with development delays".

I hope you find strength, encouragement and love enough to make this a much easier journey than you might otherwise be thinking.

Cindy
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @LexWood I’m Emma, I’m not a parent myself but, if you ever need a chat or anything please let me know.
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @LexWood, there are some ideas on this page about finding support groups for parents - hope this helps!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.