Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Doctor who

JamescJamesc Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge
Anyone like doctor who 

Replies

• 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 3,866 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to like it as a child with Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant but when Matt Smith took over I stopped watching it.

Do you like it? Who is your favourite doctor? 
  • Bryce10Bryce10 Member Posts: 45 Connected
    My son Chris likes Doctor who.
  • roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    I saw it from the start @Jamesc Daleks, Cyber Men etc
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,331 Disability Gamechanger
    Loved it as a child of the 60's watched it when it came back with eccleston and tennant but not the most recent two.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,107 Pioneering
    Love this discussion @Jamesc thank you for starting it :) 

I'd call myself a big Doctor Who fan, although I had a little break from the show during the Peter Capaldi era. Daleks still terrify me despite the fact I'm not a child anymore :D 

My brother actually writes and edits the content for this YouTube channel which is dedicated to the show, so he's a huge fan.

@66Mustang Could I ask what made you stop watching when Matt Smith became the Doctor? He's actually my favourite one :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,672 Disability Gamechanger
    David Tenant was the best in my opinion!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    @Ross_Scope I really don’t know!

I think it may be because, in my mind, Matt Smith was younger and a bit more jokey and light-hearted. I’m not saying this was the case but in my young mind it may have been that way!

I did like when David Tennant transformed into Matt Smith and felt his long hair and thought he was a girl haha
  • DragonslayerDragonslayer Member Posts: 634 Pioneering
    I have watched Doctor Who over the years since being a youngster and still do today. The best Dr. In my opinion is David Tenant. the earlier ones were a little bit more quirky like John Pertwee and Tom Baker for instance but Tenant covers the lot, funny, serious and quirky. I watch Jodie Whittaker, but I am not too keen, not because it is a woman playing it but the writing and production seem off to me somehow and the series has lost its appeal as a result.
    I still remember some of the old props used years ago. I seem to remember seeing a bed made up of milk crates sprayed silver used to support the mattress in one of them.
    One thing is. I never did and still don't like the Daleks? Earlier before they could hover, they seemed so easy to defeat of get away from. But I love all the others, a favourite of mine is the Cybermen. 

He likes getting the dvds my son.
    That makes sense @66Mustang, I know that was a criticism aimed toward Matt Smith in his earlier days and to be honest it's true, the writers definitely took the character in a different direction during that era.

I wasn't so keen on Matt Smith after his first two or three episodes, because I'd love DT so much, but after his first two-parter, where he faced the Weeping Angels, I absolutely loved him as the Doctor. 

The 50th anniversary special was a legendary episode, they brought back so many fantastic actors to the show.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    @Ross_Scope I think I should watch that episode, I loved the weeping angels with David Tennant!
    The Weeping Angels have become my favourite villain I think @66Mustang, they're so creepy. They were originally supposed to appear in an episode during David Tennent's final season, but they were brought forward and featured earlier in this reign.

My son likes all the Doctor Who’s.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,756 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I've barely blinked since that initial episode out of fear @Ross_Scope @66Mustang
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Whatever you do... don't BLINK!

What do you all think of Jodie Whittaker's Doctor?

• JamescJamesc Member Posts: 6 Listener
    She is not at good as Matt smith
    I would agree with that @Jamesc but I don't think the writing is as good these days.

My favourite ailen
    Jamesc said:
    My favourite ailen
    Which is your favourite @Jamesc
    ?

• MrAllen1976MrAllen1976 Member Posts: 1,327 Pioneering
    My fave Doctors were Tom Baker, and Sylvester McCoy (But I only really liked his era because I fancied Sophie Aldred, and 30 odd years later I still like her)

She clearly left a lasting impression on you @MrAllen1976 :) 

• MrAllen1976MrAllen1976 Member Posts: 1,327 Pioneering
    edited October 2020

I think she's good.

Just ignore all the idiots who are complaining about the sheer fact they made Doctor Who female.

I think she's good.

Just ignore all the idiots who are complaining about the sheer fact they made Doctor Who female.

I agree totally that there is nothing wrong with the Doctor being female. I mean it’s actually possible to change genders in real life so should be easily possible for the Doctor, haha!!

That said I don’t agree that anyone who dislikes her for other reasons is sexist. Being female shouldn’t make her immune from criticism. (I’m not saying that’s what you are hinting at but that other people do think that way.)
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 2 Connected
     I've loved Doctor Who since I was a child, watching Jon Pertwee. I cried when Tom Baker took over, took Nan weeks to convince me he was same Doctor but different face.
     The only one I don't like is Colin Baker, don't know why, it's like fingernails on blackboard...
     David Tennant was awesome, good combo of humour, fun and seriousness, and sexy to boot!
     When Jodie Whittaker took the reigns I was quite excited, a female Doctor being long overdue. Unfortunately the scripts let her down, and she comes across as closer to trailer trash than centuries old intelligent (that's my opinion). 
Sign in or join us to comment.