Old and overwhelmed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Old and overwhelmed

Oldhippie
Oldhippie Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Hi everyone. I'm 71, and suffer with osteo arthritis everywhere. I also suffer from depression of late due to self isolating, and not going out, and I'm having tests to see why my feet are numb. I've also just been diagnosed with breast cancer and am awaiting a letter for my surgery appointment. I have had to visit various hospitals for all of this, and as I don't drive and buses in my village are few and far between, I've been using taxis as there is no hospital transport.  I would never have asked for it anyway. I'm getting so upset as I've spent over £100 recently in taxi fares to get to these appointments. I'm on a basic state pension and pension credit, so I don't have money to spare. I really feel like giving up. I don't want to have this op, as there are younger people who should be first in the queue. I just cannot put my mind to anything, except how I'm going to pay for my funeral.  My grown up children live a long way away and have busy lives, but they are scared of giving me the virus if they come to visit.  I just don't know where to turn. I've never in my life had to ask for advice before, but I'm so overwhelmed with shock and confusion at the moment, I need someone to tell me what to do first.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Hi @Oldhippie! Welcome to the community, I'm really glad you've decided to reach out. It sounds like you've got a lot going on at the moment.

In terms of the cost of the taxis, do you think you'd be eligible for the Healthcare Travel Cost Scheme? I noticed that Pension Credit Guarantee Credit was on the qualifying list, is that what you receive? The NHS page suggests it can cover taxi fares if that's the only mode of transport available.
    I don't want to have this op, as there are younger people who should be first in the queue
    I'm sure you're not the only one who has thoughts like that, but I know that I don't agree! Your life is still worth a lot, and you should have access to the treatments you need.

I know you said you haven't reached out for support before, but are you aware of Macmillan? They can provide you with a range of services, including emotional support and financial guidance. Perhaps it would be worth chatting with them, as they'll understand what you're going through on the cancer front? Here's the page with their contact details, and links to what they can help you with.

You're also not alone in experiencing depression, especially during these challenging times. Are you receiving any mental health support at the moment, or on a waiting list to receive support? Hopefully the online community can provide you with some company. I know it's not the same as seeing people in person, but our friendly members are always around for a chat :) 

Are your children able to call or video call you? 

I hope some of this information helps. I'm sure that some of our other members will also see this, and be able to offer you some more advice. As your post covers a few different things, I'm going to move it into the disabled people category, which will also help it get some more views.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Oldhippie, I'm sorry to hear of your predicament but it's great that you've reached out to the lovely people on this Forum.
    I agree with everything that @Tori_Scope has mentioned.
    I would also add that, according to where you live, there may well be some local charities that could help you. If you could let me know which County you live in I may be able to recommend a specific charity. 
    Wishing you all the best. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.