I don't know what to claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I don't know what to claim

natasha_nc
natasha_nc Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I'm about to move in with my partner who is also now my carer. We are obviously gonna hav to claim as a couple but how? I'm trying to make sure I'm jo worst off, His on uc and im on income related esa with severe disability premium, can I put him on my esa claim? Or Should I also claim uc? We thought about carers allowance but I know I’ll lose my sdp so I’m worried about that I literally can’t find any advice about This hoping someone here can help me Thankyou in advance 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to scope @natasha_nc, have a look at this;
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Why dont you try using a benefits calculator to put all your details in 

I may be wrong but I think you will lose your SDP as you need to live alone to qualify for this or with someone who also claims a disability benefit 

I am sure our benefits expert will advise you more when they see this 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @natasha_nc.

Unfortunately you will lose SDP when your partner moves in. As he's already claiming UC you will have to make a joint claim for UC once you are living together. 

He could claim Carer's Allowance alongside UC but this would be deducted in full from your joint UC as it is classed as an overlapping benefit. Some people like doing this as it is paid more frequently than UC and makes higher NI contributions, but unless you live in Scotland there is no financial gain to claiming both CA and UC.
    However, he can have the carer premium added to your joint UC which will add £162 a month to your joint claim.

When you join claims your ESA would transfer over to UC. Do you know which group you are currently in on ESA? Support Group or WRAG? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • natasha_nc
    Hi I hav tried using the calculator but can’t seem to get it to tell me what we should do il try again tho. Thankyou for your response I know I’ll probably lose my sdp I just worried about how much money I will lose altogether you know! 
    And wether my partner should claim cares with his uc and when he does will that trigger me to have to claim uc (wish it was simple grr) 
  • natasha_nc
    Adrian_Scope I’m in the support group for esa. Thankyou for your quick response I thought I’d hav to join his claim but wanted to be sure before I set the wheels in motion for this as it’s a big change. 
  • natasha_nc
    edited October 2020
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Hi @natasha_nc - & welcome to the community.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @natasha_nc :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Firstly if any part of your ESA is contributions based then you will keep this part because this isn't part of UC, this would be £113.55 per week. Although this will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

As you're in the Support Group for ESA then this will be honoured in UC and you'll receive the LCWRA element. This means you'll be entitled to the standard allowance for couples, if at least 1 of you is over 25 then you'll receive £594.04, if both of you are under 25 then you'll receive £488.59, LCWRA element £341.92 plus any other elements that you maybe entitled to but this will depend on your circumstances.

Your partner will be able to claim the carers element of UC for looking after you. 

What you will be entitled to in total will totally depend on both your circumstances. Without knowing all of your circumstances it's impossible to give any specific advice. Using a benefits calculator will tell you what you maybe entitled to.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.