What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Inheritance

66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,317 Disability Gamechanger
Hypothetical question:

I do not own any property, and I am in receipt of means tested benefits (ESA).

I inherit a sum of money - enough to buy a property outright. Over £16,000 in any case. I assume my means tested benefits will stop.

I use the vast majority of my money to buy a single property to move in to. My savings are now back under £16,000.

Can I claim for means tested benefits again? Or, would buying the property be classed as deprivation of capital?

I believe I read that you can buy one property to live in if it will be your only property, or something, but I want to be sure.

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

If all of your ESA is Income Related then savings/capitol of more than £16,000 will end your entitlement and your claim would end. Buying a house will not be classed as deprivation of capital but you won't be able to reclaim ESA and it would need to be UC that you claim.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @poppy123456, I appreciate the help.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome :)
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.