Is there a gizmo for this, does anyone know? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there a gizmo for this, does anyone know?

Options
Figural
Figural Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi

My first post here, so waving hello.

Is there a tool that can help getting AA batteries out of the thermostat/boiler controller in my living room? The controller is a small box only 30mm deep and the two AA batteries are inserted and removed from an opening under a cover, on the side of the box, the ends facing outwards .I'm having real problems in getting the old batteries out, it's a very bad design. There's no kind of bounce mechanism where if you press the battery it pops out a little way, and there's no way of gripping the batteries to remove them, the user just has to press what little of the battery surface area is accessible and try to ease them out that way which is very frustrating not to mention painful to the fingers, and my damaged spine through the effort it involves.

This morning I needed to replace the batteries and had to lever them out with a thin screwdriver. They're rechargeables so I now have to dispose of them in case they're too damaged to reuse. My very nervous cat went out in case I was swearing at him, poor soul.

Is there any kind of tool, perhaps a strong sucker, that can stick to a battery like those you can get to change recessed LED lights, does anyone know? Or anything else that could do this? If I get a Disabled Facilities Grant I'll add a new controller of better design to my list but a house lift that will take my wheelchair is the priority need.

If anyone knows of something that will help, I'd be really grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Figural

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Could you maybe place them on top of a piece of ribbon to make it easier, I know a lot of the things I have that are hard to get at usually come with a piece  of ribbon that you can just pull and out come the batteries.
    Sorry can't be of more help.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Or you could try using superglue to glue something to the battery and pull out, perhaps ribbon. 

Placing the ribbon in first and then placing the batteries over it will allow you to just pull he ribbon in the future as @cress suggests. Alternatively use sellotape in the same way, wrap the selotape around the middle of the two batteries leaving and inch or so sticking out freely, then next time just pull the sticky tape out and the batteries will pop out.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Figural
    Options
    Cress, leeCal

Thank you so much, such good ideas, and I have all that stuff in the house. It's been a bad few days, too tired, and I really appreciate your help. The batteries are a very tight fit, the compartment could do with being a tad bigger, so the sellotape might be the best.

Thank you again.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How is the cat @Figural?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Figural
    Options
    He's fine, thank you for asking. He sat on the mat outside the cat door for about half an hour. He's a lovely old cat, 17 years, just very nervous.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wow, what an age, well I'm glad he's well @Figural :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.